1.6 TD air intake

Moderator: Fatmobile

jolotter
Diesel Freak

1.6 TD air intake

Post by jolotter »

I started my van today for the first time with it's new engine. What a glorious sound. I had to shut it down right away as I have yet no air intake figured out. I Tried to cobble various plumbing parts to the jetta intake tube with the hoses to the BOV and the rebreather, but everything points in totally the wrong direction.
Any help with that, including a filter choice would be appreciated. Maybe some pics.

Johann
Last edited by jolotter on Thu May 15, 2008 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I browsed the air filter section at the FLAPS, found a cylinder type that fit snug over a piece of (2"?) ABS which I ran through the firewall, placing the filter next to and above the tranny.

Andrew
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

The intake tube to the turbo on my MF engine comes off the left side of the engine and runs across the width of the engine compartment (in the jetta setup.) Did you splice into that jetta part or did you just make a u-bend from the turbo and head towards the tranny with ABS tees for the BOV and head breather.

I think I'll try it.

Thanks,

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I did a U-bend of ABS. If you go that route, be sure that the tube runs a bit downhill toward the turbo from the air filter. Otherwise, oil mist from the crank vent that condenses in the tube will run toward the air filter. All in all, I think it's a really good way to go. Cool air and very low risk of water in rainy weather.

Andrew
danfromsyr
Glow Plug

Post by danfromsyr »

my 1.6TD van is an 1980 model and was originally a gasser, so I don'thave the battery box off the PS body panel.

I hung a VW Thing Oilbath aircleaner there and made a custom tube to connect with my turbo intake. it draws air from the PS tailight well, and I no longer have the paper element of my Dodge caravan v6 aircleaner get sucked inside out when damp..

I do plan to hook it up to a 86+ vanagon PS air snorkle.

Dan
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

In my 83.5 wbx, the electrical connection box in directly in the path of the route through the firewall that libbybapa suggested.

I made a 2" ABS u-bend with a short length of pipe to a cone style filter just above the cam cover, all still in the engine compartment. I put some ABS tees to connect the BOV (at the top) and the cam cover breather (in the vertical part 90 deg off the turbo.) I used a steel stand-off mount from the plumbing supply to support the longer horizontal piece.

No problems after 1500 mi. and minimal turbo whine in the passenger compartment.
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
turtle
Glow Plug

Air filter for 1.9 TD in vanagon

Post by turtle »

I realize this is an old thread but I was wondering if anyone had any pictures of this or other air intake/filter setups and or how these are holding up. (I have checked out all the TDI Vanagon pictures on the grease works site) I am trying to figure out what a good solution is for the air filter.
I fabricated a custom 5cm (2") bend (with 3.75cm(1-1/2") reducer to the turbo) that goes from the turbo up to where the old air intake was and has a T for the 2 oil breather hoses (my engine did not come with that 2 port oil breather thing on the valve cover). Next I ran a new 3" flex airintake hose from the custom smooth 2" steel 90 up the cavity, where the old drivers side air inlet was, and that attaches to a solid piece of 3"pvc (where the plastic vent has been removed) then a K & N filter. This does not hold up well in rainy Oregon as water can easily be sucked in... So where to put a permanent filter and what kind. I can post a few pictures if that helps.
Thanks in advance for any ideas.
I am also wondering about flow rate and size of the filter.
Cheers