bad rings or another problem?

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

zupko5.9
Glow Plug

bad rings or another problem?

Post by zupko5.9 »

i have a 1.6 turbo diesel. i drove it about 15mi last weekend. i went outside a little later and noticed a huge puddle of oil. looked every where for a leak found nothing so i toped it of and let it run for a few. i found the leak oil was pouring from the air box. it was coming through the breather tube to the oil filter. so what do you think rings? or possibly something else?
Last edited by zupko5.9 on Wed May 28, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
duffer
Turbo Charger

Post by duffer »

What model car is this?

When you say, "...coming
through the breather tube
to the oil filter...", do you
mean the oil supply line to
the turbo?
Blue 1986 Golf N/A Bought it in '94. Never been on the road since.
Green 1991 Jetta TD. Bought it 6 months ago.
Hasn't been on the road since.
zupko5.9
Glow Plug

Post by zupko5.9 »

sorry the breather tube to the air filter. The hose coming off the breather on the top of the valve cover has a tee in it and the hose runs to the air box. not sure on the year it is in a samuari that i purchased.
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

Worst case scenario is that the engine needs a overhaul. Best case is that your engine isn't breathing and pressure is building up from the crankcase. Could have something to do with the turbo oiler.... Perhaps you need to change the title as this is other than a leak! I'm suprised that you haven't had more response.
Is it WAY over full of oil? Does it have a deflector plastic on top of the valves- under the valve cover?
zupko5.9
Glow Plug

Post by zupko5.9 »

no its not over full of oil. and im not sure if there is a oil baffle on top of the cam i will check tonight. is the turbo oiler a easy fix? how can i check it?