moldy interior

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

robmee
Cetane Booster

moldy interior

Post by robmee »

Is there any easy way to get that mold smell out of seats that have been sitting for 5 years? Can it be cleaned or will it need to be replaced?

Thanks,
Rob
=============
85' Golf n/a - my little head ache
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

I have dealt with this on a few old Rabbits. First use a carpet/upholstery shampooer to clean the cloth portions of the seats, door cards if carpeted, and all the carpeting you can. After those get nice and dry invest in some Febreeze and spray it every few days or once a week as necessary to keep it smelling better. Drive with all windows open whenever possible. It may not get all the smell out but it should be significanlty reduced.

If the seats are vinyl or fake leather, just clean them thoroughly with vinyl cleaner and get some conditioner to apply on them afterwards. You may need a soft brush to get them clean and you may need to do it more than once.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

moldy interior

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

robmee wrote:Is there any easy way to get that mold smell out of seats that have been sitting for 5 years? Can it be cleaned or will it need to be replaced?

Thanks,
are they vinyl or cloth covered? if cloth use Febreeze, take them out to sun dry, check the carpet underlay for standing water, spray/dry them as well. if vinyl remove covers then spray/dry in sun. if you have a/c check drain tube for blockage and rain tray to see if it's cracked. water will come in at the air inlet and drip onto the floor. good luck.
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

I used Super Clean on mine, worked good.
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

thanks,

It is cloth, I got my hands on some sanicide (use it to clean ambulance) to kill as much mold I can, the carpet is done, so I will replace that. This will give my 9 year old something to do while I am cusing at the car :D
Rob
=============
85' Golf n/a - my little head ache