Diesel Fuel injection pumps going bad

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Ron
Glow Plug

Diesel Fuel injection pumps going bad

Post by Ron »

Has anyone experienced a problem with leaking Diesel injection pumps? I have an 81 VWcaddy (1.6L Diesel) that sat 9 years before I bought it and 6 more after but now it is on the road. I flushed out the fuel tank but I am on the third fuel pump in 2500 miles and I think it is now leaking as well. When it is not leaking I get around 43MPG. I am running the only Diesel fuel I can get (Truck Stop) and mixing it 50/50 with off road to add some sulfur but now I don’t think low sulfur is the problem. Any ideas will help at this point. Thanks
81 Caddy Diesel
82 Rabbit 2Door Diesel
83 Rabbit 4Door Diesel
Which one?
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Instead of swapping in used pumps, why not just have one resealed. While mixing off-road fuel will help MPG, since the new fuel is thinner than the old, it won't save your pumps from leaking. Just about every old pump that I've seen exposed to the new fuel begins leaking at some point.

While there may be "fixes" for leaking pumps, the only solution is to have it resealed/rebuilt.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

As quantum said, you'll need to replace the seals in one of these pumps if you want to stop them from leaking. It's an unfortunate problem with the new ULSD fuels.

You may want to ask your off road fuel dealer (or where you're getting it from) to find out what mixture it is. I thought all these years that I was still getting the 2000PPM sulfer content fuel oil for my furnace. However, this past winter when I asked, he said that I'm getting 15PPM "fuel oil" and that they haven't had a batch of the 2000PPM stuff for as long as he worked there. So, even though technically 2000PPM off road fuel's are still legal to manufacture and sell (for a little while longer), you may or may not be getting any.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

But you can not run marked diesel as they check here in Canada and give you a huge fine. I figured I could save 4 bucks a week if I ran marked diesel. Not really worth it one bust would cost more than a whole year of savings.
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026