vanagon 1.6 Turbo engine question

Moderator: Fatmobile

jaysun9
Glow Plug

vanagon 1.6 Turbo engine question

Post by jaysun9 »

Hey there does anyone know if there is a differnce between a 1.6 Turbo diesel engine and a 1.6 Turbo diesel that would go into a vanagon. Is there something different that is required for the vanagon? Looking to put the 1.6 T in the van but want to make sure I have all my info correct before I purchase and engine. Thanks
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

There is a diesel vanagon forum on this site which might be a more apt place post this.

The base engines are the same. Many bolt-on components are different. What is your van currently? Gas or diesel? What year? Where are you located?

Andrew
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

Not haviing actually seen a 1.6TD in a Vanagon, I can only surmise, based on my experience with 1.6 Turbos, and diesel vanagons in general.

I'd say you'll need the following if you don't already have them
1) Cooling hoses. The upper ones should be the same for 1.6NA or TD, but the TD will have the oil cooler hoses. Those should be the same for any 1.6TD.
2)Flywheel and clutch. You'll need one for a diesel, if you're converting a gas Vanagon to diesel
3) Diesel Bell-housing. They're different than either the WBX or aircooled motors.

As far as Vanagon Turbo Diesel specific items, Id say you'd need to source/fabricate/modify the following:

1) Oil pan. The turbo is cooled and lubricated by engine oil. It will need to drain back to the pan. You'll have to drill and weld a bung onto your aluminum Vanagon diesel pan to allow the oil to drain back to the pan. You may also have to fabricate an oil return line.

2)Carrier Bars. I know that there are some turbo-clearance issues for 1.9TD conversions, they may have the same issues for the 1.6TD Vanagon. Also, the rear motor mount may prosent a problem: notably, the blow-off valve may interfere with the bracket. THis will only be an issue on Turbo applications. If you can find a 1.6TD out of a Vanagon/Doka, then you might evade that little treat.

3) Intake tubing and air filter. You kinda can't use the 1.6NA tubing on a turbo. You can make your own, or there's a German guy on ebay that sells the stock 1.6TD air boxes and tubing from German Vanagons (the 1.6TD was not an option in the US as far as I know). Not a biggie, but a potential PITA.

Do a search for Andrew's Posts (libbybapa). I think he's got a 1.6TD Vanagon, so he'll be keenly aware of what you'll run into.
jaysun9
Glow Plug

Post by jaysun9 »

So I'm up in sebastopol, ca.....I have an 82 diesel vanagon-the only thing is that I bought it for a steal from someone half way through a rebuild on a 1.9 NA that had been upgraded from the previous owner. They had somehow had an accident, lost all the oil from the oil pan, and fried the engine. The crank has been rebuilt but as I'm checking everything else it looks as if the head and pistons would need to be replaced, and the block remanned. In my research for finding parts for the 1.9's it seems to be a royal PITA being that they were never sold in the US. The fact that 1.6 Ts are a much more common engine and easy to find parts I'm looking to replace my current situation with a running 1.6 T. As far as mounts and engine accessories I have everyting from the 1.9 NA. Not sure if that would help in the extra pieces potentially needed for the 1.6 Turbo but that is the current situation I'm in now. I'm excited to get this van running but just trying to figure the right way to do so. Thanks
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

It's good to keep this info in the Vanagon fora,... so when I need it I'll have it all in one fora.
I haven't worked on a van/bus yet but I know where a solid '82 diesel passenger van is and I'm sure he'll let me practice on it.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

I say stick with the 1.9L. You'll need the power in the heavy van.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
jaysun9
Glow Plug

Post by jaysun9 »

Sticking with the 1.9 was the original plan but as I'm seeing how much needs to be replaced and remanned it is seeming much more complicated and pricey to find the parts and get the motor running.
The feeling at this point was that I could pick up a pretty solid used 1.6 T and get moving with a lot less hassles. I'm really attracted to the overall availability of parts as well. It seems like a lot less trouble to maintain the parts on an engine where parts are easily and readily available.
My experience is more centered around the mercedes diesels so I'm still trying to learn about the vw diesel vanagon.
I guess I'm willing to give up a little power to gain accesability and a little financial savings.
Although I am curious of anyone out there with a 1.6 turbo in the vanagon and if the power is sufficient?
Thanks for all the info out there
J
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I'm with Jaysun. The AAZ's are just to darn expensive, at least where I am. With a few mods, the 1.6TD can put out well over what the 1.9TD can stock. Granted those same mods can be done to the 1.9TD for more power as well but if I were going to spring the cash that 1.9TD tends to catch, I'd bypass it altogether and go with a TDI without hesitation.

With regard to whether or not the 1.6TD is sufficient, it is for me. It can fairly easily outperform a stock 2.1 WBX.

Andrew
jaysun9
Glow Plug

Post by jaysun9 »

Hey Andrew,
Let me know if you have any information in the difference between a vanagon 1.6 turbo and any other 1.6 turbo. Quality german auto down in so cal is importing some nice low mileage motors from germany and lists the 1.6 turbos in a category of either vanagon specific or any other. The vanagons are listed about 500 dollars more expensive and am curious why. Still waiting for an email reply from them but curious if you have heard such a thing and what would be in addition for the vanagons. About to make a pick n pull tour and see what i can find but still confused on that one. Cheers....
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The hoses, oil pan, pickup tube, filler tube, clutch, injection pump, injector lines, alt bracket, engine mounts, engine carrier bars, aux. coolant pump, etc. are all vanagon specific and bolted to the engines you see as priced higher. You engine/van will already have all of those goodies to swap over. Some folks also want to KNOW that it will bolt right in and so they pay extra. If you have the jetta style exhaust manifold then you will need to modify the driver's side carrier mount. I actually vastly prefer the jetta setup with modified bracket as the position of the turbo is MUCH better. Also, the k24/T3 that came on the Jetta are too big and slow spooling for the vanagon (which came stock with the k14). Although the vanagon injection pump fits under the engine lid without modification, I also prefer the jetta style pump. It is more tunable, less expensive, and more readily available. Also, the injection lines for the vanagon TD (necessary if using a vanagon TD inj. pump) are hard to find even in Europe and very expensive if you can find them. Pluses and minuses...

Andrew
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

jaysun9 wrote: Quality german auto down in so cal is importing some nice low mileage motors from germany and lists the 1.6 turbos in a category of either vanagon specific or any other. The vanagons are listed about 500 dollars more expensive and am curious why.
I also was looking at his stuff on E-bay, (still thinking of cutting up a Vanagon into a Doka). He also has "changeover kits and used hose kits".
libbybapa wrote:Although the vanagon injection pump fits under the engine lid without modification, I also prefer the jetta style pump. It is more tunable, less expensive, and more readily available. Also, the injection lines for the vanagon TD (necessary if using a vanagon TD inj. pump) are hard to find even in Europe and very expensive if you can find them. Pluses and minuses...
So you use the Jetta stuff and build a "box" over the jetta pump? Like this???? or worse???

I think that would be unacceptable in my "doka" truck, (just dreaming it'll probably never happen :lol: 8) :shock: :roll:) since that would be the truck's bed.

Seems like in this thread alone there are lots of products that people would buy, especially since the diesel "fad" seems to be still going strong. Someone needs to "tool up" and make some solutions for these things in the aftermarket.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The stock doka engine bay is taller and so does not require any modification to the decklid. If using a jetta pump and stock vanagon engine bay and decklid, then the above picture would be the modification necessary.

Andrew