Savin' fuel test

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Savin' fuel test

Post by 82vdub »

On this last tank of fuel, I decided to do a test in my 82 Rabbit to see how much I can improve my fuel mileage by making two easy to do changes. One was to push in the clutch when the light turns yellow, instead of letting the engine slow the car down in that particular gear it was in at that time, or push the clutch in towards the bottom as I go down the large bridge in town before I exit the highway going to work. The second was to drive 60 MPH on the highway the short distance to and from work instead of the normal 65-70. I get home tonight with the gas gauge 2 lines above empty (reserve empty), and the furthest I've let it go before was down to one line above empty. Previous maximum was 455 miles to the tank, with normal typical max tank roughly 430 miles (also read below). This time I got 514.1 miles on the trip meter for this tank full of gas - nearly 80 miles further! If I didn't have to go out of town tomorrow, I would be driving it to work and putting another 12 on it before I need fuel.

Since my odometer registers approximately 92-93% of actual mileage (compared to the mileage markers along the highway). Taking that into consideration, that's 552.8 miles on a tank of fuel, which wasn't as low as I have let it go before on previous tests. The fuel tank is supposed to hold 10 gallons, but I've put in close to 11 when the tank has been this low and filling it to the brim, so that is in excess of 50.25+ MPG. Not too bad for a car with over 1/3 million miles on it.

I didn't tune anything different and am not testing for maximum smileage, but just wanted to see what two simple non issue changes would do for around town mileage. Was plesantly surprised. Time to fire up the old big block and spend some of that fuel savings :wink:
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Yep, I have been using the upshift light and it does seem to save about 10% on fuel consumption around town.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

on my reccord 63MPG trip i turned the key off on long downhills so the fuel stop switch on the pump would close, but it kept locking up my friggin stearing wheel even with the key in the ignition almost causing death but this helped big time- so much so im thinking about wireing a push button to the stop switch so i can shut the pump off 100% on every downhill TDI style :)
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

JRM wrote: but it kept locking up my friggin stearing wheel even with the key in the ignition almost causing death but this helped big time- so much so im thinking about wireing a push button to the stop switch
Put it on the shifter like Mad Max's blower. That would be cool.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

It´s fun to do stuff like that and see that it has effect on mileage even if the mileage is as good as it is to begin with.
My Skoda usually is at 5.2L/100km = 45mpg
My last fill up was 4.92l/100km = 48mpg and I didn´t really do anything special, I think the main thing was that I never drove over 100kph.
That was the first time ever that I got under 5L/100km, not many cars are able to beat that with a "normal" driving style..
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
82rabbitdiesel
Diesel Freak

63MPG

Post by 82rabbitdiesel »

JRM wrote:on my reccord 63MPG trip i turned the key off on long downhills so the fuel stop switch on the pump would close, but it kept locking up my friggin stearing wheel even with the key in the ignition almost causing death but this helped big time- so much so im thinking about wireing a push button to the stop switch so i can shut the pump off 100% on every downhill TDI style :)
so you would push in the clutch w/ the switch off to the bottom of the hill and when you approach the bottom of the hill let out the clutch and bump start it? would it be easier to take out the locking pin on the steering column or get one that didn't have one like my 82? i don't think i have a fuel stop switch on mine but i might.
Carlos Galvos wrote: The steering wheel(81VWRabbit L) is pleasant to grip, and the instrumentation is cleanly and logically laid out in a manner one would expect from a fine European car.(posted on EBAY)
82 Rabbit Diesel, 2" lift, "45 mpg average"
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

I've been thinking of adding a relay up front by the pump. Then have the relay controlled by a switch back in the cab to send power to the fuel stop solenoid. Then the switch could be used both to shut off fuel for downhill braking as well as a security device to prevent theft. Keep the switch in an out of the way location and no label on it and that would probably keep the average thief from starting the engine.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

On fuel-less engine braking: will the IP or stop solenoid sustain any damage or wear from long periods of the pump turning with the solenoid off?

On coasting and bump-starting: will the drivetrain or clutch sustain any damage or wear doing that frequently?
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

tylernt wrote:On fuel-less engine braking: will the IP or stop solenoid sustain any damage or wear from long periods of the pump turning with the solenoid off?

On coasting and bump-starting: will the drivetrain or clutch sustain any damage or wear doing that frequently?
No problem with the fuel cut solenoid being open, all that does is let the fuel just return to the tank. Basically it releases the pressure on the pump (so nothing gets injected) and sends 100% of the incoming fuel back to the tank. No need to bump start, at least for down hill engine braking, just leave the engine in gear, like normal, only shut down the fuel supply. That is my main goal, getting a little extra engine braking down steep hills.

Not sure about the benefits of coasting with the engine stopped, whether you can do that enough to make much difference compared to coasting with the engine idling.
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

VWCaddy wrote:Not sure about the benefits of coasting with the engine stopped, whether you can do that enough to make much difference compared to coasting with the engine idling.
And the associated problems of heatsoak from stopping the water pump and low oil pressure from stopping the oil pump.
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

yeah i tired both, keeping it in 5th gear and killin the fuel supply is best, as when i coasted for 4 miles in netural traveling from 6,000 FT to sea level i started to get a vibration- i think the tranny goes dry without the engine running, but not 100% sure
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Your right. I remember reading that the 020 tranny can't be towed in over 50 miles per hour and every 200 mile it should be put in gear and run. Something like that anyway. There's a shaft in the tranny that doesn't see oil in neutral. Doesn't sound like a good vehicle to be towing without a dolly.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I had never heard that.
I suppose pulling the axles and putting stub axles in the bearings would be the way to do it, if you were using a towbar.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I just checked my mark II Bently page 28 and I was right about the speed but wrong on the distance its only 50 miles.
In Canada its illegal to coast your car in neutral. Chances of being cot nil.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/