Proud father of a.......

This is a place for us to share progress on and upgrades to our vw diesels.

Moderator: Fatmobile

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Proud father of a.......

Post by CoolAirVw »

Injector pop tester! Oh, thanks again for the fitting Andrew.

I bought the bottle jack at one of those surplus places assuming it was new, and I think it was, but it was filthy inside. I think it was cosmoline or some kind of rust inhibiter allover in there. I had to completely disassemble it for cleaning, because I didn't want the filth sticking my injectors after I pop test them!

Here's some more pics.

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That is really SWEET! Great job.

I really like the way you welded the top inside the cylinder and so the top nut still screws on.

I'd recommend attaching it to a stout base that extends further toward you than the handle. I've found that "Wafer Head Screws" available at Home Depot work really well for holding the tester to the base due to their wide heads. I went with the screws around the base after burning through several drill bits trying to drill through the hardened cast iron base of the jack. I'd also recommend using pipe insulation for a cushion on the handle and wrapping it with a liquid-proof tape.

Andrew
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

libbybapa wrote:I'd recommend attaching it to a stout base that extends further toward you than the handle.
I just clamp it to the work bench.

I updated the pop tester. I didn't like the red "cup plug" at the top so I got a rubber cork and put a hole in it. I also cut up a plastic clutch master cylinder to use its resovoir. (actually its more of just a built in funnel)

Here's the updated tool.

I had to wait for these to adjust my injectors

And then when I found I had a leaky injector that wouldn't stop leaking, I had to get these. I only used one. All my injectors, including the leaking one, had less than 2000 miles, since I had replaced them at the engine build.

Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Great tool to have, I don't know how I got along without one.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.