1982 Campervan...needs an engine!

Moderator: Fatmobile

bigjeffstone
Glow Plug

1982 Campervan...needs an engine!

Post by bigjeffstone »

Just bought it...on my way home the connecting rod for the #1 cylinder broke, cracked thru the short block on it's way to cracking the water pump housing.

Anyone know the best place to get a replacement?? I could go with just a short block, as the heads are all fine, rebuilt only 69k ago.

Thanks for your help...
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

www.vwdieselparts.com

I hear they do vw diesel engines :wink:
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

I read through your blog and sorry for your misfortune.
Here's the link for others. Good reading....http://www.thehobosoul.com/blog/?p=738
Dont give up on the van just yet! The rabbit engine would probably work fine.

Most Vw diesel engines will interchange. You can take a "rabbit" diesel or a jetta or a quantum ect. and put it in a vanagon. Some of the "bolt on parts" are specific to the vanagon so just swap them over. You'll probably need to get a vanagon oil pump, but you could swap over everything else.

If you were closer I would go get it and help you install an engine. I drove from here, kansas city missouri to San Jose (36 hours one way) once to tow my Porsche home. (also went to cleveland 10 hours and san antonio 9 hours for other cars)

Maybe post up on some of the other forums and you might find someone with truck and trailer who would be willing to help you go get the van.
Try posting on...

TheSamba
VwVortex
VwDiesel.net
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
bigjeffstone
Glow Plug

Thanks for your replies

Post by bigjeffstone »

Thanks for all the help--right now, the mechanic who has it FINALLY got in touch with me about another rabbit engine that he acquired and is in the process of putting that short block onto the engine and replacing only what needs to be replaced.
I'll keep you posted, and let you know what else I find from these other sites.
Glad you enjoyed the blog---hope you were able to make it all the way thru...
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: Thanks for your replies

Post by CoolAirVw »

bigjeffstone wrote:hope you were able to make it all the way thru...
I read it all the way till you got home. Well back to the RV. :roll: :cry: :lol:
Richard
85 Jetta TD

Vanagonner
Glow Plug

Post by Vanagonner »

Sorry to hear of your ordeal. I go thru that "why don't I just have a car, like normal people?" every time something takes it down, and I'm back to riding city transit and bumming rides from friends 'till I get it fixed. And when I have occasion to try driving it on a fast highway I question my judgement again.
But on many occasions, when it is running steady and smooth, when I am not in a hurry, and there are no big hills to climb it is a truly wonderful thing to drive. There is nothing else like it. And besides, yours looks like a nice one. It is easy to get discouraged when something big like that goes. I am in the middle of changing engines in mine right now. A big deal at first, but less of a big deal as I get it done. I have had to change my expectations over and over as a part of owning one. I have also learned some of the limits as to how hard I can thrash it (looks like catatonically slow driving to everybody else) and still have it keep working well.
Good luck!
-Sage
Boulder, Colorado '82 westy
Berger
Glow Plug

Post by Berger »

Wow! What a compelling story, excellent writing!

I had a similiar journey but with a happier ending. I bought an 82 diesel westy on ebay, flew out to Seattle (I live in Milwaukee) and drove it back in January. The guy who I bought if from failed to tell me the heat did not work and I almost froze to death with -25 weather. I had to buy a coleman propane heater and prop it up on the passenger seat. Then when in the mountains of Wyoming they shut down I-90 because of whiteout conditions and I was forced to stay in a small town (Ranchester) for 2 days. I finally got home with a mild case of frostbite on my toes.

Having said that, I agree with all the above posts, don't be discouraged. My van had a rabbit Injection pump that was leaking, injectors that were leaking, shift linkage problems, accelerator cable that would jam up, no cold start cable and SHE STILL MADE IT 2000 MILES CROSS COUNTRY!, in the dead of winter! I've been working on her since and plan on making a trip from Alaska to Mexico next summer. It looks like you got a nice van there I hope you keep it, if you take care of her she will do the same for you.
Mike

'82 Westy Diesel 1.6NA
'08 Trek 820 Bicycle
bigjeffstone
Glow Plug

an update...and thanks

Post by bigjeffstone »

Thanks guys, for the encouragement. I don't get here very often, so well, it's neat to come back and see that people are still reading and enjoying...and commiserating, and identifying with me. I have to say that frostbite is right up there with how my situation went...

As of yesterday morning, the guy with the van said he was about to start it up, two months after the ordeal. He frankensteined the engine, taking parts from all over the place. He'll drive it around for a few days, make sure it's ok, and then I'll get up there to get it.

At this point, I'm going to get someone to go up for me. I'm not risking those hills again, not risking getting stuck again. He sounds pretty confident in what he's doing, says I should get another 100k out of what he's done. I guess, for these guys, that's what I should be expecting.

I've found myself, even though I'm not in the van yet, driving slower. I think that my mind is slowly training myself to take it easy. A great way to lower stress levels, I guess.

Thanks again, I'll keep you all posted.
bigjeffstone
Glow Plug

Post by bigjeffstone »

An update.

The engine has been fixed, mechanically, it's running sound. Unfortunately, I had filled up with biodiesel before I left, and well, since it was sitting for so long, it gummed up the fuel system.

Now, we've got to flush that out and could be up and running any day now. Been hard to get a hold of the mechanic, however, so I'm still waiting for some response.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Thanks for the update.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
bigjeffstone
Glow Plug

Post by bigjeffstone »

Finally got the van! Had a friend pick it up in OR for me, drove it down the coast surfing along the way with his kids. Great trip for them, saved me the time and fear of getting up there and having it break down on me again.

The engine looks good, real good. Some strange noises, not sure if it's just cause they are diesel noises that I don't know about, but I'll keep you posted. Pics to come soon.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I like a happy ending :) .
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Looking at the dates here it was a slow repair. But it took less time than when I rebuilt my engine :lol: :lol: :shock: :roll:
Richard
85 Jetta TD

bigjeffstone
Glow Plug

Post by bigjeffstone »

It was a very, very long time. And well, that happy ending I thought that I had...isn't so happy.
There was a crack in the oil filler tube (which was replaced) as well as leaks all over underneath. Belts hadn't been changed, transmission is leaking fluid. It sounds like oil isn't getting to all the cylinders either.

My mechanic down here is kinda pissed at the guy up north, and now I can't get that guy to call me back.
After all this time, I'm somewhat tiring of having a car at the shop.

Worst case scenario, I just wasted $2000 and might have to get a new or rebuilt engine.
bigjeffstone
Glow Plug

Post by bigjeffstone »

The update: the head that Ken Harrison from Ken Harrison Volkswagen and Machine Shop put onto the engine was full of cracks. At least 4. Small, but any crack is a major crack.

Buying a new rebuilt engine from (Jack is an engine rebuilder, added by moderator competitor's name deleted), which is being built now. Should be ready next week.