completely busted my starter! not sure how... ideas?

Moderator: Fatmobile

tmb1929
Glow Plug

completely busted my starter! not sure how... ideas?

Post by tmb1929 »

'82 Van had seriously overheated a month ago (bad idea to put cold water in so soon), developed head issue (exhaust bubbling out coolant tank). On morning about to drive it to mechanic, starter completely broke (housing that holds gear pin in place). Replaced the starter, it only took 1/20th of a second to break the new one almost exactly. No obvious points of impact on the starter. I might guess that it was all about a wobbly crankshaft? Something pushed it so hard it busted. Haven't found a view plate for the flywheel to watch and crank by hand. Any ideas? I've got photos if you like. I've owned van for a few years now, recently converted to svo. previous owner replaced old engine with rebuilt 85 quantum 1.6, kept tranny (4spd, 091)[/img]
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Try cranking it over by hand, with a ratchet on the front crank pully bolt. (clockwise only of course)

If the cylinder filled with fluid from the leaking head gasket it could be "hydro-locked". Piston cant compress liquid.

Seems strange that it would break the starter though.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

How about something caught in one of the flywheel teeth that once spinning jams the starter sideways and, bang!

Andrew
tmb1929
Glow Plug

hydro lock

Post by tmb1929 »

ok, i think we have our answer. won't know until we open it up. but hydro locking is the most likely suspect. haven't pulled a plug yet though. we attempted to hill-start it, and the wheels just locked, even though we could crank the engine by hand (and could hear the liquid moving in and out of the cylinder - you'd think that'd've given us a clue). gotta pull the head anyway, so we'll deal with that then. thanks for the help!
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: hydro lock

Post by CoolAirVw »

tmb1929 wrote:we attempted to hill-start it, and the wheels just locked
YIKES!

Your gonna pull a injector or a glow plug?
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That water will likely have rusted the cylinders fairly significantly in the last few days. Also, it's fairly likely that you bent a rod doing the hill start attempt. :shock:

Andrew
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

libbybapa wrote:Also, it's fairly likely that you bent a rod doing the hill start attempt. :shock:
I didn't want to be the bearer of bad news!
Richard
85 Jetta TD

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Yeah, I just went for it. :lol: Better to learn now than after the head is back on.

Andrew
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

tmb1929 wrote:ok, i think we have our answer. won't know until we open it up. but hydro locking is the most likely suspect. haven't pulled a plug yet though. we attempted to hill-start it, and the wheels just locked, even though we could crank the engine by hand (and could hear the liquid moving in and out of the cylinder - you'd think that'd've given us a clue). gotta pull the head anyway, so we'll deal with that then. thanks for the help!
How can it be hydrolocked if hand cranking works, but downhill wont???
Indeed sounds like something in gearbox. Will water go past rings underhand cranking?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Quantum-man wrote:How can it be hydrolocked if hand cranking works, but downhill wont??? Indeed sounds like something in gearbox. Will water go past rings underhand cranking?
Hmmm, interesting observation. I doubt that it would turn under handcranking either. But maybe it would turn for a few degrees and tmb1929 quit cranking before he was on the compression stroke for the cylinder that contains liquid. Or maybe tmb1929 never hand cranked it at all.

Best way to tell anthing would be to pull the plugs or injectors and crank it over , (by hand) to see if water comes out.

But.... I would assume that the hillstarting tecnique went like this....

1. put in neutral
2. turn on car
3. roll car
4. push in clutch
5. put in gear
6. let out clutch

If this is the way tmb1929 "roll started" the car then the problem is not the trans.

A "bound up" trans either would not have rolled at all (step 3), or would have not went into gear at step 5. (you cant syncronize the speed of a rolling output shaft and a "bound up" input shaft.

I assumed that "the wheels just locked" when tmb1929 let out the clutch (step 5). Which means that the internal trans parts are working (to a certain point) and that the clutch is working. What it means that the motor is not able to turn over.

Edit.... As I read this it "reads" like I'm being sarcastic torwards Quantum-man. I tried to edit this out but I couldn't do it without taking out the "content". I assure you that I'm not being sarcastic or even saying your wrong. I think you have a good point.
Richard
85 Jetta TD

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Ah, life is so interesting. I got some pics to share from my experience at work today, that are very relevant to this topic.... but I left my camera at work.

I'm going to Des Moines till saturday so you all will have to wait till then for the pics! Stay tuned!
Richard
85 Jetta TD

CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Ok, here's the story...

6 months ago we installed a flywheel and starter on a 95 chevy truck 6.5 turbo diesel.

Thursday the guy calls up and says, insert mad gruff voice here, "My truck wont start! You'd better come and get it!"

Well, we go get it. On this truck there is a "U-tube" that is under the flywheel cover. This tube pipes exhaust from the left side manifold to the right side where the turbo is. In order to remove the flywheel cover and inspect the teeth we had to pull this "U-tube". Heres what we saw.

And here is the "U-tube".

Anyone care to guess what happened to his starter/flywheel teeth?
Richard
85 Jetta TD

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Why did you fill his engine with water and why did it take him six months to figure it out? :P

Andrew