Getting started on the conversion

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Getting started on the conversion

Post by piglet_74 »

Figured I would post some pics of the beginnings of my conv. I'm using the aircraft spruce 3/8 od aluminum fuel line. The HIH setup is Home depot 1/2" nptf tees. 3/8 compression drilled out. 1/2" barb for coolant feed and return. 5/8 hose for the outer hose of the coil. Here's the coil:

I started collecting my veg a few weeks back:

After settling for two weeks, I ladled the oil into a 5gal with a 100 micron filter bag in it. Then use gravity to drain that bucket through a 10 and 5 micron sock filter in filter to a bottom bucket.

From the 10 and 5 filter bucket I drain to my storage barrel.

So far the oil looks very clean

Once I get everything plumbed up I will add two more switches to my control panel for the feed and return lines.

The gauge is a vdo 100 to 250 deg f gauge with sending unit. I'll have a selector switch to go between engine temp and veg feed temp. I checked the other hash marks on the gauge today with a thermocouple. The first hash past 100 was 125 and the second was 150. It's kind of a strange gauge.

I'll post more once I get further. Thanks, Rob.
Last edited by piglet_74 on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Ahhh everything looks so clean,.... in the beginning :lol: .
Also, why is the HWH coiled?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

Initially, I'm going to just try to run this in the warmer weather. If it works ok then I was going to make another hose next to hose setup to the veg tank for the winter. Most of the setups I saw used this or a FPHE to get things up to temp for injection. The FPHEs were more than I was willing to spend right now so this will get mounted in the engine comp. I have a 15gal marine topside tank for the veg. Are folks doing something else lately? Thanks, Rob.
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

OK now you got me thinking and googling... :? Why wouldn't I just run the hih from the engine bay to the tank? Maybe a couple turns of normal hose around the filter, then into the hih with the coolant. Out on the tank end of the hih and into a tank heater. Then back up to the engine to reheat. As long as the hottest coolant is hitting ip end of the fuel line it should be good right. Hmmm. OK redesign. Glad i posted this stuff. Rob.
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

Finally got some more work done. Tank, Tank heater, filter circuit and trunk plumbing is fitted. Next is the engine compartment.