VDO Temp Gauge

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

piglet_74
Cetane Booster

VDO Temp Gauge

Post by piglet_74 »

I got tired of my temp gauge moving around all over the place and not having real numbers on it so I swapped to a VDO gauge and sender for the 100 to 250 deg f range. I made a control panel for my veg conversion project and put the gauge in that.

I also checked the other marks on the gauge today by strapping a thermocouple to the coolant neck on the head that had the sending units. The first hash was at 125 and the second was at 150. It seems to hang just under 180 when running normal which should be good.

The light to the left is an alternate glow plug light. It's a neon indicator light wired off the fuse block on the fire wall. It lights when the glow plugs have power, not what the relay thinks is going on. (Dash light only worked in the afternoon.) The switch is a rocker with blue LED pilot light. I'm using this as an override for the fan temp switch.

I'll post another pic once I fill it out more. Thanks, Rob.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Heads up display?
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

Ya, the car came without the interior line the headliner and sun visors so I just screwed it into the existing holes. I didn't want to loose my cup holders. Gotta have my coffee on the morning ride in. :lol:
kevin g
Diesel Freak

Post by kevin g »

do you wire that temp gauge into the sender in the expansion tank? Im thinking of installing an after market gauge also
piglet_74
Cetane Booster

Post by piglet_74 »

Actually vdo had a m10x1 sender that was 10-120 ohms I believe. I put it in place of the stock sender. The only problem was the stock one looks like a straight thread and the vdo was ever so slightly tapered. It works and doesn't leak but left me wondering a little as it didn't thread all the way in. It had a copper gasket as if it was supposed to shoulder against the neck. I put it in pretty tight but didn't want to over do it. I bought a second one to use for veg feed temp before it goes into the IP just to see how high I'm getting my veg before injection.

Rob.