Repainting??

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

robmee
Cetane Booster

Repainting??

Post by robmee »

I am by no mean good at any of this stuff, but I am getting things done and the car is shaping up. I have fixed the rust around the windows and filled the dents in the car. I am looking to paint the car and I am wondering what is going to be be the best bet for a novice painter as far as paint/time/prep/ease of use and still look good. Granted this is going to be a beater, but a nice one.

Thanks,
Rob
=============
85' Golf n/a - my little head ache
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

How about the classic 50 dollar paint? Click the link below or google "50 dollar paint" for others.

http://www.rickwrench.com/index79master ... paint.html

Edit.... Oh I think I found the "original" 50 dollar paint thread. Its a classic. Read the whole thing, if you have a few days to spare.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
bottleworks
Cetane Booster

Post by bottleworks »

Ya got a place to paint? I used a tent.

I used a $100 Porter Cable gravity feed gun. Rusty metal primer X2 and sun burst yellow X2. Turn out far better then I ever would have thought. Better then many of those cheap body shop repaints.

Before Paint:

Priming:

Color Coats:

Finshed with paint:

1981 VW Rabbit Pickup
and an Additional 1981 VW Rabbit Pickup
"You may have to 'metaphorically' make a deal with the 'devil.' And by 'devil,' I mean Robot Devil. And by 'metaphorically,' I mean 'get your coat.'"
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

CoolAirVw wrote:Edit.... Oh I think I found the "original" 50 dollar paint thread. Its a classic. Read the whole thing, if you have a few days to spare.

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/sho ... art=1&vc=1
Yep, I'll be doing my Jetta that way. I've been practicing on a lawn mower, and it seems like the best way is to thin very little (10%) on the first few coats and then as you work your way up through the layers using progressively finer sandpaper, thin more and more until you get to about 50% for the top coat.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
robmee
Cetane Booster

Post by robmee »

Well I was able to find silver lacquer that was discontinued got a gallon for $10, but was told that it is alot of sanding. I was also told that it will stand up the best vs UV. The truck looks nice, I like the tent Idea, how much was the tent?

I tired the $50 one on a spare fender, it didn't look bad with the roller, but when I tried with the sprayer it was much better, still need to thin the paint though.

I will try the lacquer on a door to see how it comes out and try to post a pick.
Rob
=============
85' Golf n/a - my little head ache
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I'm not a paint expert, but laquer takes a lot of sanding work after it's applied. You may be able to check with the guys at the paint store, but you may be able to clear coat over laquer and get a better finish without much sanding. I said may as you may have horrific results if the clear coat doesn't go over laquer well. Check with the paint store.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
A1-2-A3
Turbo Charger

Post by A1-2-A3 »

I painted my golf the 2 coat roller then wet sand method. 11 coats. It is alright to do if you like lots of hard labour. If I did it again I would at least spray it so the orange peel is not so bad. Finished product looks like some new cars out today with the orange peel. I did not get the same results as the guy with the charger on the paint thread. It does work though cost me 150 bucks. If low cost is your goal and learning about body work its better than spending big money on paint.
The way I see it every car I have owned new you take it to the store and some real nice guy runs the shopping cart or hits his door on it and it costs thousands over the years to keep looking new. So I drive a bomb that at least is one solid color and the paint does stay on and probably will never rust from the top side anyway.
The VW RABBIT the most important car for VW second only to the BUG.

my band..
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Barrel-Mu ... 9006395026
bertcarrier
Cetane Booster

Post by bertcarrier »

I just had one of my guys do my '91 Jetta with Do-it best enamel, that you thin with acetone. It looks way better than I expected. Total paint cost=$29 for a gallon of paint, $16 for a gallon of acetone. I've painted a LOT of equipment with this stuff, it goes on well and holds up great. Don't laugh, pictures to follow.
'85 Golf Diesel greaseburner (Alas, it was totaled by a female SUV driver on a cell phone in California, true story)
'91 Jetta Eco-diesel
'82 VW diesel pickup
'92 Chevrolet K1500 6.2 Diesel (grease burner also)