Cam gear puller: USE JACKS!!!!!!

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Cam gear puller: USE JACKS!!!!!!

Post by Quantum TD »

So, I finally got around to/got brave enough, to do the timing belt job on my girlfriend's 2001 Jetta. I'd done a few on the AHU motors, but never an ALH.

The Bentley claims that you need a special puller tool:

AST T 40001 cam puller that costs about $120-180.

I used Jack's home-made IP gear puller as shown here:

http://www.vwdieselparts.com/tools.htm

I bought if for all my 1.6 motors, but I found that you can loosen the two polts on the outer pins, rotate the slots to the same side, and it works perfectly on the cam gear on the ALH TDI. Incidentally, it also works well (with some finnagling) to remove stuck intermediate shaft pulleys.

Thanks Jack!
rsxsr

Re: Cam gear puller: USE JACKS!!!!!!

Post by rsxsr »

Came across this thread looking for information on the cam shaft locking tool used for setting up the cam timing. I have the original VW diesel tools for the 1.6 NA engine, but was trying to find out if the cam tool I have will work with the later ALH TDI engine as well? This is the flat bar that has a lip that slips into the notch of the back of the cam to center it in the head. Thank you.
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

rsxsr wrote:Came across this thread looking for information on the cam shaft locking tool used for setting up the cam timing. I have the original VW diesel tools for the 1.6 NA engine, but was trying to find out if the cam tool I have will work with the later ALH TDI engine as well? This is the flat bar that has a lip that slips into the notch of the back of the cam to center it in the head. Thank you.
Unfortunately the ALH engine needs a different thickness and height.

The pump locking pin is different as well. :cry:

The earlier AHU TDI engine would'a worked for ya, but the ALH is different on both fronts.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Thank you. I sort of figured it would be a slightly different tool. My crank seal appears to be leaking and I think I might hear the oil pump chain on cold start up. Just trying to get ready to tackle the job. Thank you again.