manuals

Moderator: Fatmobile

peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

manuals

Post by peggysgirl »

I just purchased a 1982 Vanagon Deisel in great shape but not running. The fuel pump isn't working and according to Clymers worthless manual tells you to check the relay,but dosen't tell you where it is located.Does anyone have a good electrical diagram of this vehicle and can anyone recommend a good manual.The reviews for Bentley's didn't impress me for the price. I sure would appreciate the help
Anne Marcotte
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: manuals

Post by Quantum-man »

peggysgirl wrote:I just purchased a 1982 Vanagon Deisel in great shape but not running. The fuel pump isn't working and according to Clymers worthless manual tells you to check the relay,but dosen't tell you where it is located.Does anyone have a good electrical diagram of this vehicle and can anyone recommend a good manual.The reviews for Bentley's didn't impress me for the price. I sure would appreciate the help
Where do you live Anne?
-1)Get a 17mm open ended spanner and looosen all nuts on top of injectors and crank engine 15 times.Look to see if diesel has dripped out of each fuel pipe. No? then do next...
1) Check that pump solenoid works on back of pump. Ignition on, remove and 'dab' back on the wire on back of pump just above where the fuel lines come from. You should hear a clunk etc. If you hear nothing gently but briefly brush lead across the pump body and check for sparks.
2) Check for glowplug power by loosening red/white wire on #4 glow plug and stroking as in 1) Above.
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I don't think there is a fuel pump relay on a diesel vanagon,... with the Rabbits that's a gasser thing.
I'm going to move this over to the vanagon fora.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Yup, no fuel pump relay on a diesel vanagon. Follow the checks Quantum-Man outlined (or substitute voltage checks with a meter rather than rubbing live wires around :wink: ) and it should narrow down the issue.

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Clear fuel line will let you know if the injection pump is pulling fuel from the tank.
Find out if fuel is being pulled into the pump, through the pump and sent back to the tank before worrying about it getting to the injectors.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

deisel fuel pump

Post by peggysgirl »

There is no gas coming out of line.The fuel pump isn't making a sound either
Anne Marcotte
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

If there isn't any gas coming out of the line that's a good thing on a diesel. :P

The pump is entirely mechanical and so only pumps when the engine is turning either by it's on force (running) or when the starter is cranking it over.

You keep making comments that would apply to a gas van but do not apply to a diesel. Your's is a diesel, correct?

Andrew
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

deisel fuel pump

Post by peggysgirl »

I am so sorry... FUEL line, this is my first deisel so it is very hard for me to refer to it as a FUEL line vs Gas line, I just figured you guys knew what it is I was referring to. Originally, I was looking for the best manual because I am in a yank to get this van running, and all these kinds of comments are just setting me back....Can anyone tell me what is the best manual for this van?????[/u]
Anne Marcotte
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Probably the best manual for the diesel vanagon engine is the MKII Golf/Jetta Bentley. It has much better descriptions of procedures than the Vanagon Bentley but only applies to the engine. The Vanagon Bentley would be my second choice. Haynes doesn't have any that apply to diesel vanagons nor does Chilton's. The Bentley is head an shoulders above the Haynes and Chiltons for the Golf/Jetta/Rabbit.

The fuel pump won't make any sound that is distinguishable above the starter cranking the engine over. Whenever the engine is not turned the fuel pump doesn't do anything (if it made any noises I'd be worried). :D

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

If you want to see fuel going into the pump, without the engine running; you'll have to put a piece of clear 1/4" fuel line on the output of the pump and suck on it,... or use a vaccum pump, to pull fuel from the tank, through the filter and through the pump.
This is a good way to prime the system.
Once it's primed it will often pump fuel on it's own.

It will probably do this on it's own when if you crank the engine long enough,.. but you haven't mentioned cranking the engine,... it's sounds like you've been turning the key and expecting to hear a fuel pump sound when the ignition is turned on.

I got to work/play with my first vanagon diesel engine today.
It was out of the vehicle but was still a learning experience.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

deisel fuel diagram

Post by peggysgirl »

I still haven't received my manual. Does anyone have deisel fuel diagram for the 1982 Vanagon?
Anne Marcotte
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The fuel goes from the passenger side of the fuel tank to the filter, then to the injection pump. Then the injection pump injects some through the metal lines and fuel injectors into the engine. The rest is returned to the tank via the return line on the pump straight back to the driver's side of the tank.

Andrew
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

fuel injection pump

Post by peggysgirl »

thanks for the info, can you tell me where the fuel injection pump is located?
Anne Marcotte
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Yup. It's the thing bolted to the top of the engine that has the metal lines coming out of it and going to the injectors.

Looks like:

Andrew
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

fuel injection pump

Post by peggysgirl »

Thanks so much. We actually got it running today,had to put fuel into the injection pump as it has been sitting and not running for 9 years, now we are working o the alternator,you have been very helpful..thanks
Anne Marcotte