turbo support bracket?

Moderator: Fatmobile

pipimilr
Glow Plug

turbo support bracket?

Post by pipimilr »

I have a westie with a 1.6 turbo and the turbo needs support brackets or something because it keeps vibrating the exhaust nuts loose. I have tried double nuts on the exhaust mainfold and no luck. What have other folks done to prevent this? I do not know enough to tell what kind of turbo I have.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

the og ones had a bracket from the block to the turbo housing. Check the classifieds on the samba in vanagon parts. There is a guy who gets parts or is in Bonn germany who has them for sale once in a while. Or make one.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
Luckypabst
Glow Plug

Post by Luckypabst »

This is my solution, based on the OEM TD Van brace. The OEM brace mounts near the center of the engine block and creates a less than ideal angle for controlling exhaust flex, plus there just aren't that many used pieces kicking around in the junkyards here.

My support bracket bolts to the lower left bellhousing bolt at the engine end and to a plate sandwiched between the exhaust flange and the turbine housing (OEM uses a wide exhaust flange to accomplish the same thing).

Chris

Pardon the dust - I had to get dragged - backwards - for about a quarter mile yesterday through deep soft sand that the little skinny tires just couldn't handle (even at 15 psi).

'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy
pipimilr
Glow Plug

support bracket for turbo

Post by pipimilr »

Thanks for the response. On the flange with the plate do you have to change the length of the studs on the turbo, I assume that is a stud, one of mine is broken off, how hard is it to take those nuts off without busting them? Thanks again for your help.
Luckypabst
Glow Plug

Post by Luckypabst »

I used longer than stock studs, knowing that the 1/2" exhaust flange and the 1/4" bracket would be too thick for the stockers - plus I think the originals were in poor shape and needed to be replaced anyhow.

Soak the area with Kroil or similar, at the point where the stud enters the turbine housing, maybe run it through a couple of rapid heat/cool cycles and hopefully you'll be able to back the studs out by turning the nuts.

Welding a nut to the broken stud is one good way to get that one out.

Chris
'82 TD Westy
'81 NA Caddy