part

Moderator: Fatmobile

peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

part

Post by peggysgirl »

can anyone tell me what this hose is,it is broken and we need to order a new one but don't C:\Documenand Setts tings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\engine\engine 002.JPGknow what it does/C:\Documents and Settings\Owner\My Documents\My Pictures\engine\engine 001.JPGhow do you insert a photo on this site
Anne Marcotte
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

part

Post by peggysgirl »

you were most helpful thank you.
what is the white hose ?It is broken and not sure what the part is called
Anne Marcotte
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

part

Post by peggysgirl »

Anne Marcotte
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That is the brake booster hose. With it broken, you lose all power assist to the brakes. Have you replaced the timing belt?

Andrew
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

part

Post by peggysgirl »

yes timing belt is new,wow, you are most helpful, no wonder the brakes were like pushing on a semi...haha thanks so much
Anne Marcotte
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That piece bolted to the engine is the vacuum pump. It should havea barb nipple there where it has broken off. Looks like someone tried to glue it. You might want to simply get a replacement vacuum pump. Yours is a "rotary" style pump as opposed to a diaphragm type.

Another significant downside to having it leak is that it will then be constantly sucking unfiltered air into your engine. If run long term like that, the vac pump could actually seize, stopping the rotation of the oil pump and wrecking the engine. :shock:

Andrew
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

part

Post by peggysgirl »

I found the vacuum pump but I can't find the brake booster hose part...can you help me locate it???
Anne Marcotte
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: part

Post by CoolAirVw »

peggysgirl wrote:I found the vacuum pump but I can't find the brake booster hose part...can you help me locate it???
The vacuum part might be worthwhile to buy from Jack. A used one would probably suffice. Seems like he would have one. (?????)

It looks to me, and sounds like Andrew was saying there is nothing wrong with the hose. After you replace the vacuum pump you can probably just hook the hose to it. I'm sure Andrew will correct me if I'm wrong.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I agree. It doesn't look like there is anything wrong with the hose, it's just the nipple on the pump top that is broken off. It's probably stuck in the end of the hose. This shows the pump with the fitting intact.

Andrew
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Now that I see Andrews picture I think maybe you could repair it.

Freindly Local Auto Parts store should have a vacuum "coupler", for repairing broken vacuum lines. Maybe you could shove one of those into the hole and epoxy it in place. Probably would be best to take the vacuum pump apart first to inspect its condition and clean out any junk that has fallen or been sucked in there.

Might be worth a shot???????????????????????
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I've thought about pulling the broken part out of the top, drilling it to NPT and installing an appropriate brass barb. One would have to be careful when tapping it to make sure the threads didn't extend into the pump body any. I haven't taken the time to investigate that further than my imagination, so take it with a grain of salt.

Andrew
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That's what I was thinking too.
The top comes right off that vacuum pump and you might be able to drill, tap a metal barbed fitting into this lid.
If anything sticks out the bottom,... grind it flush.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The bottom of the lid is the sealing surface for the vanes. Rather than grind it and make it irregular, I would remove the fitting, grind off an appropriate amount and rethread it into place. One would also need to be sure that tapping it didn't raise the metal at the inner edge of the hole. Adding a slight chamfer to the edge of the hole and lapping it afterwards would set it right.

Andrew