Is there a need to closly check the WVO?

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Crankin
Glow Plug

Is there a need to closly check the WVO?

Post by Crankin »

Is it necessary to check WVO for free fatty acids? I am currently running B100 in a 85 Jetta and in a Merc.240D. I have found lots of veggie oil that has too much acidity to use for Bio. Is this oil usable in a greasecar?

Josh
Turbo Charger

FFA's get filtered in WVO/SVO system; not a consideration

Post by Josh »

Concerns re: high levels of Free Fatty Acids aren't relevant to the running of a properly designed Waste Vegetable Oil system. They are only relevant when you are making your own biodiesel fuel.

Excuse me if you're already clear on this, but B100 is 100% biodiesel, not 100% un-transesterified veggie oil.

If you're running a WVO system, and have sufficient hot filtering of the oil to say 10 microns or less onboard just before it hits the injection pump in an oldschool VW, FFA is an acronym you can let go up in smoke.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
Crankin
Glow Plug

WVO Vs BIO

Post by Crankin »

Thanks Josh,

I have been making and running B100 and I am considering switching one of the cars to a heated WVO system just to make some obsevations and comparisons. I have been getting my oil from several sources and the FFA is too high to make good BIO from about half of my sources so I thought....why not try a WVO system?
Any one with other thoughts?
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

I think it's going to be an issue if you are getting wvo from sources that use crappy oil, shortening, leaving it the fryer for months or letting it sit with water and other crap in it. Once i started only getting my waste oil from places that only used canola, but more importantly changed it often and didn't wait for 6 months before getting it picked up , made all the difference. I stopped even checking for FFA's because it wasn't even an issue any more.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
Crankin
Glow Plug

The " good " oil

Post by Crankin »

caveman,

Thanks, I did find that the best oil came from folks who would call me for a pickup just after they drained the fryer and before they dumped the oil into the hopper.