engine block identification

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

freakweezle
Glow Plug

engine block identification

Post by freakweezle »

Hi, I have a 1990 jetta with a na 1.6 and a 1985 jetta with a na 1.6. Both of them have mechanical heads even though I guess they were made with hydraulic heads. The 1990 will need a new head. I've searched the forums, but haven't been able to tell if the engine blocks are different for the hydraulic and mechanical heads or if you really should mix and match the two styles if the blocks are different? What is interchangeable and what isn't? Thanks for your time.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Blocks are different. (matches head)

In jacks picture here you can see the hump. The engine block will have a corresponding hump.

Basically some folks have made hydraulic work on mechanical, by plugging the hole ect, but I dont think you could do the other way without major work.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
viperkepr
Diesel Freak

Post by viperkepr »

I was considering doing that, converting my mechanical block to hydro head. So, plugging the extra return hole is the easiest solution? Also there is no difference between the cams correct? I have a 1.6NA, and I am considering doing the convert the next time I do anything major to it again. Cost is going to be a factor too I guess, but from what I hear it is worth it.
81 Rabbit 1.6NA 251k
02 Silverado
06 Kia Sedona
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

viperkepr wrote:I was considering doing that, converting my mechanical block to hydro head. So, plugging the extra return hole is the easiest solution? Also there is no difference between the cams correct? I have a 1.6NA, and I am considering doing the convert the next time I do anything major to it again. Cost is going to be a factor too I guess, but from what I hear it is worth it.
I've never done the swap. Would be nice to not have to adjust lifters.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

mech head and hyd lift

Post by hippiehulahooper »

I guess I have a frank-n-head. I have a mech head and block. but the head has hyd lifters. well, it ran so I was game. should I pull the cam and put in mech lifters?
I have never adjusted or tested lifters. I had taken the head to be "rebuilt". I never thought to change the lifters. I thought they came that way.
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Can you post a picture of your head and block highlighting the extra hump between 1+2?

Is the hyd head an OE head or aftermarket? Some of the aftermarket heads use the same casting for both heads and so you can't tell externally if they are hyd or solid. If it has hyd lifters (you're sure?) then you cannot just swap in solid lifters. The hyd valves are shorter and the recess for the lifter is large in order to accommodate the taller hyd lifters.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I would be interested to know how a motor would run that was supposed to be using a mechanical lifter and has a hydraulic lifter installed. The lifter would never pump up fill of oil, and thus valve operation would be a very small amount of movement, unless the valves were ajusted that removed all the "play" in the valvetrain within the lifter body itself.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

That's not accurate. The oil supply to the head is exactly the same for hyd and solid lifter engines. Even the oil supply to the lifters is the same, although that's not relevant as the hydraulic lifters will not fit into a solid lifter head or vice versa as I stated earlier. The only issue with using a hydraulic head on a solid lifter block and vice versa is where the coolant channel in the solid lifter motor component lines up with the oil return of the hydraulic motor component. Resolve that issue by plugging the channels and the hydraulic lifter head will function EXACTLY the same on a solid lifter block as it does on a hydraulic block.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

head pic single hump

there is no extra hump. I have no idea if it is oem or after. the lifter cam contact point is solid not shelfed with shim. I had them out when I did the head gasket.

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

libbybapa wrote:That's not accurate. The oil supply to the head is exactly the same for hyd and solid lifter engines. Even the oil supply to the lifters is the same, although that's not relevant as the hydraulic lifters will not fit into a solid lifter head or vice versa as I stated earlier.
Ok. I was thinking vintage V6/V8 engine lifter/valvetrain operation.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

so if there is no second hump, does that mean that it is mech?

hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Block I D .

Post by hagar »

Thank you Kap'tn Cool for posting the pictures , very handy for me.
I prefer mechanical Heads , matter of taste I guess.

hagar.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

It's supposed to :) .
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

Fatmobile wrote:
well I thought I had hyd. I looked at some pics of the lifters and recognized the notch on the mech lift. so went out and pulled the valve cover.
yep it mech.
I guess better late than never.

I have never measured or switched the shims. maybe that is where some of my fuel ec. is going. time for the bentley.

Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

hippiehulahooper wrote:
Fatmobile wrote:
well I thought I had hyd. I looked at some pics of the lifters and recognized the notch on the mech lift. so went out and pulled the valve cover.
yep it mech.
I guess better late than never.

I have never measured or switched the shims. maybe that is where some of my fuel ec. is going. time for the bentley.
With the cover off, look for the two oil drains corresponding to where the two cast ridges should be.
Maybe there is a drain there anyway....

To be perfectly honest, to fill the head up with oil neccessary to require the extra drain could only happen when the bearings are slacker than safe to drive... IMO :wink:
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)