Removing Engine cowling. Do I really need to leave it on?

Moderator: Fatmobile

82Caddy
Cetane Booster

Removing Engine cowling. Do I really need to leave it on?

Post by 82Caddy »

Is there really a good reason to leave all the sheet metal installed? It seems like every time I need to work on the engine I'm taking the pan off the bottom and putting it back on. Is there a good reason to keep it installed? It's rarely cold where I live so that would not be an issue. Thank You in advance. :roll:
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

There are two reason for the belly pan. It reduces noise and warms the engine up faster. If you plan on removing it permanently, I'd be interested in getting it from you.

Andrew
82Caddy
Cetane Booster

Post by 82Caddy »

Wow, I thought it would make things quieter since the sound waves would be able to escape instead of bouncing off the cowl. I'll put it back and do a sound check. I'll let you know if I decide to chuck it. Thanks.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

STvtopping who is on this site sometimes claims that it keeps the sound from bouncing off the highway and into the truck, but i haven't noticed any difference at all. If anything it may keep it quieter outside the truck [German noise emmission laws and all]. Plus it won't be quieter if you don't reattach every single screw and bolt so it doesn't rattle.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
82Caddy
Cetane Booster

Post by 82Caddy »

That's what I noticed most. The rattling of the non secured sheet metal back by the exhaust.
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

I really don't know if i'm going to bother putting it back for winter. I have a diesel so i guess it would help protect the oil pan , but since it's beat up it's pretty hard for it not work it self loose and start rattling. I'd rather install a syncro skid plate or fabricate something stronger and tougher.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na