Waste Veg Questions

Anything related to biodiesel/biofuels, questions, answers, technical information for all VW Diesel Engines should go here.

Moderator: Fatmobile

MizPahPAH
Diesel Freak

Waste Veg Questions

Post by MizPahPAH »

Any one know what level micron filter the on board VW style filter is

when you switch back and forth between diesel and WVO how do you keep the two from mixing

do you even worry about them mixing
Pete
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The stock fuel filter is 10 micron.
Getting diesel in the vegy filter is a good thing,.. it thins the vegy for an earlier switchover to vegy.
The diesel system is isolated from the vegy system,... unless some vegy goes back to the diesel tank during a flush that is too short,.... sending the remaining vegy to the diesel tank.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
MizPahPAH
Diesel Freak

Post by MizPahPAH »

Thank you Fatmobile

So what you are saying is "if" there is any mixing of diesel and WVO its best to have a little Diesel get into the WVO tank then it would be WVO getting into the Diesel tank?

I have been collecting soybean oil from a local bakery
Pete
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, when I flush the vegy from the pump, I send it backward down the vegy line.
Backwards through the vegy filter.
First it's vegy, then vegy/diesel,... then if I flushed it long enough; it will be diesel.
Some of this thinner fuel is stored in the vegy filter.
All of it is eventually pulled back into the loop when switched to vegy mode.
It allows you to switch to vegy earlier, because there isn't a solid lump of vegy in the vegy filter.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
VW cat
Turbo Charger

Post by VW cat »

Just adding to this post. I'm using a 10 micron hydraulic filter as a vegie filter with a machined adaptor so it will screw on to a VW engine oil cooler/filter assembly.

However there is a 10 micron filter made, that will screw right on to make a cheap heated filter assembly. Keep in mind there are two ratings for filters, absolute and nominal I believe.

Thoughts vary regarding how long the VE pump should be flushed, but I flush it for 35 seconds.

The backflush system that Fatmobile designed is very interesting. I have copied it to 4 different vehicles over the years and it works perfectly. Phil