1986 Vanagon Diesel--Blower Motor? Dash Lights?

Moderator: Fatmobile

hammondeggs8
Glow Plug

1986 Vanagon Diesel--Blower Motor? Dash Lights?

Post by hammondeggs8 »

So we just bought an 86 Diesel European Import. Awesome rig w/ 25K original miles. But the blower motor doesn't seem to be working (the core is fine as there is heat, just not blowing). It is damn cold here and I need this thing fixed. I am looking for suggestions of problems other than the blower motor itself as it looks like quite a job in the manual. The dash lights are all out, so would this be connected? With only 25K original I am surprised the blower motor is out. Any suggestions?
1987 Vanaru Syncro
1986 Vanagon Diesel--European 25K originial
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

They are different circuits, so most likely not related. There is a brightness adjustment for the dash lights that is below the main headlight switch and yet part of the switch itself. Have you tried turning them up? If that does not work, then most likely the contacts for the dimmer are corroded. Check for current in and out of the dimmer.

For the blower, I would check at the switch for power. It's been a while, but if memory serves, pull the heater control levers off, pull the heater blower switch knob and then gently pry the whole control box face off the dash. Then pull the connector off the back of the blower switch. Check each of the contacts for current. If there is no current then check at the fuse panel. If there is current, then bridge it to each of the other contacts in turn and see if the blower comes on. If it does, then it's the switch. If it doesn't, then pull the dash and replace the motor.

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

Before you pull the dash you might try a quick flash of power of a higher order.. like using a good well charged 18v (cordless) tool battery or two car batteries in series for 24v.... you will scrap the blower if you hold the power to it but you might be able to get it to move with the higher voltage by flashing it a couple times.... maybe it has been sitting still for years and it just needs a little encouragement.... oh ... the resistor is almost surely burnt out so you will not have lower speeds than "very high" but you can cheat that until you get the dash off. You will need to take the dash off eventually... just nicer to plan for it rather than having your arm twisted.

good luck fishing...