howdy

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Praylood_93
Glow Plug

howdy

Post by Praylood_93 »

Just wanted to stop in and say hi, I just acquired my second a2 diesel, first was my first car, an 86 two door golf. Now, eleven years later, a 91 two door jetta. very excited. Jetta doesn't run, yet... I don't even have a clue what is wrong with it. can't wait to get started. The jetta is very VERY rust free, and its only got 237k. like brand new!
anyhoo, hope you all can be of help with this project.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Welcome, I hope we can help you with your new project too. :)
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
thegimpster
Cetane Booster

Post by thegimpster »

welcome too. prepare to open the wallet and watch the money fly away. that's what vw projects are good for, but we love em any way.
Check out the awesome VWDiesel.net Facebook group and fill your feed with awesome diesel stuff at http://www.facebook.com/groups/vwdiesel
mattbondy
Diesel Freak

Post by mattbondy »

I have been in a position lately where I have been unable to spend a dime unless absolutely necessary. The jetta is running but it has been interesting. As I drove home from school today the power steering gave out (either the belt is gone or is very loose) and water was trickling down on to me from the sun roof.

I do not have an alternator in the car. I have tucked a small motorcycle battery charger under the hood and routed the electrical cord through the bumper cover. I have an old spare battery in the trunk just in case. It holds just enough of a charge to start the car on a cold day and run the headlights on the way home.

Neither back door opens. Well, one can be opened if you simultaneously unlock it from inside and actuate the outer handle.

If not for the ram-air blower I would not have heat. As it is I drive to school with a hat and gloves. I park in the driveways of boarded up homes near my school and it is a bit of a walk so the hat and gloves are nice to have. The local municipality has refused to allow the owner of the current international border crossing/bridge to tear down these houses to twin the existing span. They would not allow him to put up a fence to keep people off these properties.

Its not an ideal situation but the wallet opens quite rarely for the VW these days. There is very little rust so the car looks pretty nice. Someone broke a mirror but I just bought a small one and epoxied it in place. I have a piece of trim to reattach. A dog ran into the side of the car one day and broke the small plastic fasteners that hold it on.

I think this makes things sound worse than they are. I meant for it to be rather comical. As bad as the economy is, my financial issues stem from a complete devotion to academics.

Another humorous circumstance:
I was keeping a case of coca-cola in the back seat as part of my lunch. They would get just cold enough that they would be perfect once lunch time rolled around. However, we are just going through a cold snap here. Every can exploded, the back of the car is full of brown slush. It is quite a mess.
Last edited by mattbondy on Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1986 NA diesel Jetta
- future societies will mine for precious oil beneath my parking spot
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Its kind of like an omen. The Nuffies run out of fish to fish in Newfoundland then move to Ontario and Alberta. Then the car factories run out of cars. Then everybody moves out to Alberta. Then Alberta runs out of tar and everybody moves back and starts making windmill and solar cells. Now that's a happy ending.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

Except that Alberta has enough tar sands to harvest at breakneck pace for decades... and if we don't leave that stuff, and coal, in the ground, the whole planet will hit several tipping points causing runaway global warming, killing us all.

I'm afraid the happy ending option has an expiration date of possibility, and it rapidly approaches. Let's hope the new american administration takes the lead and dares to do what must be done. No new coal-fired power plants, a phasing out of existing ones, massive investment in renewable energy and smart grid technologies, and carbon tax with 100% dividend replacing income, property, and sales taxes in all developed nations.

It's good to dream!
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Josh wrote:I'm afraid the happy ending option has an expiration date of possibility, and it rapidly approaches. Let's hope the new american administration takes the lead and dares to do what must be done. No new coal-fired power plants, a phasing out of existing ones, massive investment in renewable energy and smart grid technologies, and carbon tax with 100% dividend replacing income, property, and sales taxes in all developed nations.

It's good to dream!
It will be interesting to see what the new administration does, since he campaigned on both sides of the taxing spectrum. However, raising taxes on a waning economy is not wise, since all taxes are paid for by the consumer.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
vwkook
Diesel Freak

Post by vwkook »

Josh wrote:Except that Alberta has enough tar sands to harvest at breakneck pace for decades... and if we don't leave that stuff, and coal, in the ground, the whole planet will hit several tipping points causing runaway global warming, killing us all.

I'm afraid the happy ending option has an expiration date of possibility, and it rapidly approaches. Let's hope the new american administration takes the lead and dares to do what must be done. No new coal-fired power plants, a phasing out of existing ones, massive investment in renewable energy and smart grid technologies, and carbon tax with 100% dividend replacing income, property, and sales taxes in all developed nations.

It's good to dream!
Sorry for the thread hi-jack.
Man, with your thoughts and ideas, you shouldn't be driving these nasty polluting VW diesels. The debacle has just begun.
'69 Fasty
'81 Caddy
Golf/Jetta
Turbo Charger

Post by Golf/Jetta »

can't wait till global warming. it'll be good for running WVO in the winter
'94 City Jetta - 4 Dr - 2.0 Gasser
'97 Jetta - 4 Dr - 1.9 TD
1.6L N/A Diesel Engine with a ACH Tranny

Sold for 200 '92 Jetta (WolfsBurg) - 4Dr - 1.6 Diesel TD 1.9L - Alive