New problem - Ignition

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

New problem - Ignition

Post by hippiehulahooper »

1. I open the drivers door and lights come on in cab, as I have them set. I put key in ignition and it chimes letting me know the door is open. I turn the key to glow and zip! no power anywhere, chime goes out, over head light, all of dash, eveything. all lights go out. nothing.
turn off key, still nothing. turn key back on and nothing.

2. leave and come back later. starts back over with #1 again with lights on and chime working.

just when I turn the key everything goes out. I assume it is something inside the key part of the ignition, or the "backside" that is shorting out the electrical.

any suggestions?
thanks
90 Jetta chasis, NA mech. PS, AC.
parts needed:drivers side rain gutter, drivers side rocker panel and rear flare

86 Jetta TD(bottom end needs rebuild)
Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Post by Op-Ivy »

How old is the battery and how cold is it out?

1. Check battery voltage.

2. Check battery terminal connections. Take them right off, clean them well and put them back on.

3. If that doesn't work, check the ground connections. Take them off and clean them as well.
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

battery

Op-Ivy wrote:How old is the battery and how cold is it out?

1. Check battery voltage.

2. Check battery terminal connections. Take them right off, clean them well and put them back on.

3. If that doesn't work, check the ground connections. Take them off and clean them as well.
battery is brand new, maybe a month old.
terminal connections are good. temp was higher yesterday then it has been for weeks. ground on block looks good.

Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

The next most common cause of your symptoms would likely be a defective ignition switch... 10 buck electrical part at the back of the steering column, and they are pretty notorious for failing and causing interesting problems related to turning the key.

It's a straightforward repair well-covered in the Bentley... steering wheel off, drill out shear bolt (if equipped), use a puller to remove the spline adapter, and then slide the entire ignition assembly off the steering column. One Phillips screw later the switch drops into your hand.

Removing the spline adapter is the tough part... you need a sturdy bearing-splitter type puller, and sometimes a little heat.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

ignition switch

Vincent Waldon wrote:The next most common cause of your symptoms would likely be a defective ignition switch... 10 buck electrical part at the back of the steering column, and they are pretty notorious for failing and causing interesting problems related to turning the key.

It's a straightforward repair well-covered in the Bentley... steering wheel off, drill out shear bolt (if equipped), use a puller to remove the spline adapter, and then slide the entire ignition assembly off the steering column. One Phillips screw later the switch drops into your hand.

Removing the spline adapter is the tough part... you need a sturdy bearing-splitter type puller, and sometimes a little heat.
I found the ignition switch in the bentley under steering column switches heading. there are three continuity tests. so I guess next is to test those, if any fail the switch is bad.
plus- I'll see if I can find any pics in the bentley on the spline adapter and sheer bolt.

update: I pulled the turn signal and wiper switches. so I am down to what I think is the spline adapter.

what is the shear bolt?

2nd update: I went by the local partsplace and they rented me a puller. so everything is off now.

just need to get the switch. hope this is the problem.

thanks

Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I was thinking you could read the battery voltage at the cable ends,..
and see what the voltage is after hitting the switch.
If the new switch doesn't do it, there's something to check.
Sometimes cables can look good but have internal corrosion.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

new switch

got the new switch in today. hooked everything back up and have lights on when I open the door and chime. put in key and turn it and all power goes out. so I am stumped.

Op-Ivy
Turbo Charger

Re: battery

Post by Op-Ivy »

hippiehulahooper wrote:ground on block looks good.
It looks good or you took it off and cleaned it anyway? Sometimes when cables and connections look good... they really aren't. Make sure you are 100% sure that all the grounds and connections are good and clean.. for sure!

Have you checked the connection to the starter?
1990 TD Jetta - 490,000Km
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

First place I always check in these situations is the battery terminals and then the connections on the starter. If these are all good, take a screwdriver and carefully cross the terminals on the starter (between the large conductor at the solenoid and the terminal that comes from the ignition) to see if your solenoid is good (don't do this with the car in gear!). Or, buy a remote starter button that essentially replaces the screwdriver. This will test the starter/solenoid. If the starter/solenoid works, start chasing wires to see if you have a loose or damaged connection/wire.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum-man »

Could it be the relief relay on the relay board playing up?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, the x-relay, AKA the load reduction relay shuts the headlights, radio, defroster, wipers, etc. when the starter is turning.
Actually not sure all those are effected but you get the idea.

Sounds like this is something more serious,..
exactly what happens to me if the battery terminal is poorly connected.

Hit the starter and EVERYTHING goes dead,.. even the dash lights.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

relay

I pulled the load reduction relay(#18) from the 86. same problem.
battery has 12.41.
I cleaned the ground connection on the block, and the power on the starter( I think it's the solenoid).

after some time, maybe 5 minutes, I have power at the light and chime. putting the key in doesn't change any thing, nor turning at the second position. but at the third right as you turn it, the power goes on and off. when I turn to the fourth/start position out for some time. but if I don't turn to the fourth and just turn over that third back and fourth the power goes out and comes back on. as soon as I go to the fourth it is out for a bit of time.

libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

I would first try a different battery. I know you said it was new, but I have seen remarkably similar behavior with a bad battery. I'm also wondering if it is an actual short in the starter solenoid. I'd pull the sense wire from the starter, place it where it can't short to metal and try the key again.

Andrew
hippiehulahooper
Turbo Charger

libbybapa wrote:I would first try a different battery. I know you said it was new, but I have seen remarkably similar behavior with a bad battery. I'm also wondering if it is an actual short in the starter solenoid. I'd pull the sense wire from the starter, place it where it can't short to metal and try the key again.

Andrew
I tested volatge with the key to start ot terminal 50 and the field-wiring connectiong strap. both had more then 8 volts.

what is the sense wire?

going to try another battery.

82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

hippiehulahooper wrote:I tested volatge with the key to start ot terminal 50 and the field-wiring connectiong strap. both had more then 8 volts.
8 volts??? Maybe you discovered the issue. This should be pretty close to battery voltage. Did you measure the battery voltage?
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count