Turbo and injection pump advice

Moderator: Fatmobile

dvuono
Cetane Booster

Turbo and injection pump advice

Post by dvuono »

So my little cold weather mishap has cause a series of questions that I hope someone might be able to help me with. I currently have a 1.9L IDI diesel engine with an eco-diesel turbo, which I got off a 91 jetta. I'm sick of my van dieing on hills and want to upgrade the turbo.

So my question is, do I need to find a whole new intake/exhaust manifold or can I just buy a bigger Turbo that bolts right on to the existing manifold? I was looking at a Garrett Turbo, which was intended for a TDI. Would there be any problems with that given I have an IDI engine, and also does that mean I should get a new Injection pump? The pump I have now was a rebuild from my original 1.6L, but seems to work alright with the 1.9L. From what I've read, it seems I should get a TD injection pump. Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading.
Dave and his 82 Diesel Vanagon
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

What boost pressure are you currently running? If you are running stock boost, then a larger turbo will do absolutely nothing to benefit you and will in fact significantly increase turbo lag which is unbearable in these heavy boxes. The ECO turbo is good for putting out 18 psi or so of boost. If you aren't planning on running more boost than that, then it is the absolute best bolt-on turbo for a TD vanagon, IMO. If you want to tackle a vane control system then a VNT turbo can do better, but many folks don't have the desire or skills to tackle such a custom job.

Regardless, you should definitely get a turbo pump. It will allow you to increase fuel according to boost pressure and so have great power without smoke before boost is present.

Andrew