99 Bug IP replacement questions

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

QuantumDave
Cetane Booster

99 Bug IP replacement questions

Post by QuantumDave »

I'm not new to VW diesels, but new to TDIs,

I've got a friend who bought a 99 Bug that was running WVO. Guy selling the car said the dealer told him that the IP had rust inside most likely from the WVO not being dewatered sufficiently. Engine is original to car and has 130K

All I've done is look at the engine, havent tried to start it or do anything, just got it home tonight

I take it this is the ALH engine? how do I determine this? is it the same as finding the engine code on 1.6's

Anyway, what is the best and wisest way to go about getting the fuel system back to functioning condition? I'm not going to shotgun the problem by blasting it with money. Where do I start and what should I test?

I've owned several 1.6s over the years and do all my own maintenance, and have over 315,000 miles on one, but the TDI makes me feel like I know nothing about diesels again. My thoughts are to drop the tank & flush, blow out the fuel line w/ air, change the filter, replace the IP, have the injectors cleaned & pop tested and blow out the injector lines? Good plan, or am I forgetting something or just nieve

Any help or sage advice appreciated,
Dave Little
91 Jetta 1.6 NA
374K & still going on the original engine & IP at the time I sold it.
That car taught me quite a bit.
97 Passat TDI 277K
05 Passat TDI 48K
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

A 99 Beetle will be an ALH. There should be a sticker on the plastic timing cover indicating the code.

As for the pump. I have heard stories of WVO killing pumps. My friend works at a VW dealer, and just worked on a 2000 Jetta TDI that had the same problem. The owner wasn't giving the whole story on the car and why it would not run. Come to find out, he had dumped about a gallon of 911 in the gas tank, and the pump was wasted. He spent some 8 hours in labor flushing the tank out, and another 3 hours on the phone with the tech line trying to figure out what was wrong. Come to find out the pump was destroyed by WVO, and he only found out about the WVO use after he told the owner that the pump was bad.

So, bottom line: I'd say you'll have to flush the tank, the lines, add a new fuel filter, and of course, the IP. Now, it may be something simple with the pump (leaking seals, clogged port, etc), or it may be something much worse. I do know the temp sensors tend to sh*t the bed in the TDI pumps, so it may be something that simple.

Either way, I think your looking at about $1000-2000 to repair it, depending on your tech level and/or whether you have the work done. Also, remember, after you replace the pump (and presumably the timing belt, water pump, and 3 rollers), you'll need to time the pump. Timing the pump requires computer software (VAG-COM). If you do not have a VAG-COM, or know someone who does, you'll have running problems/poor efficiency/hard starts.

The timing job on the TDI takes some special tools that you will have to buy. Metalnerd sells a gonzo kit that has WAAAY more than you need for the job. But if you're nervous, all those added goofy tools may give you piece of mind (like the crank lock, etc).

For the right price on the car, I would not shy from it if it were me, but I have worked on a couple of TDIs. The premise is the same, it's just got all that added junk to make the car run smoother and faster. I spent quite a bit of time on Franks TDI forum before I attempted to do the timing belt on my GFs car. Since then, I've done a couple, including a Pumpe Duese TB. It's not hard, just alot of junk to clear.

Good luck.
wild3bill
Cetane Booster

TDi is Different

Post by wild3bill »

I have had diesel experience:
I bought an old 1964 Mercedes 190D. Later I bought a brand new 1979 Rabbit Diesel. Ive done amost all my own work. My latest are a 98 Beetle TDi and a 2003 Golf TDi. Let 's say the older VWs were designed on Earth. I suspect the TDi 's use technology from crashed UFOs. The radio self destructs. They call it an anti Theft system. Thieves do not steal VW radios because not even the owner can get them to work. Anyone who would put an "immobilizer" in their design should be shot back into space.Other Car Thieves will master the defeat of the immobilizer before the VW Stealership will because perhapse all the business it gets towed in to them. Radio thieves will steal an aftermarket sound ststem before a VW radio any day.

i
Wild3Bill
Lower Hudson Valley NY
2011 BMW 335d turbo Diesel
2003 Golf GLS TDi in the shop
1998 TDi Bug in the back yard
81 Rabbit Pickup " " "
97 ChevyK2500 . 6.5TD 4
John Deere 455
Koubota BX24 Diesel lawn mower w/back hoe & loader