antenna

Moderator: Fatmobile

peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

antenna

Post by peggysgirl »

My Vanagon did not have a stereo in it. I am a music lover and I want to put one in. Unfortunately,there is no factory installed antenna either. Thought instead of drilling through the body, one of those magnetic types that stick to the roof would work. All I keep finding are Cell phone or CB radio ones. Does anyone know if there is a magnetic type for an am/fm radio? Or is there another solution to my problem. I can get an antenna for it from the Bus Depot for 12.00 but figured cutting through the van would be a hassel. :?
Anne Marcotte
caveman
Diesel Freak

Post by caveman »

I have been going through exactly the same issue. I really didn't want to drill a hole if i didn't want to. At first i just attached an antenna extension wire and lay it on the top of the dash, only okay reception around, poor downtown. I then bought an amplified version which attaches to to inside glass. I mounted it at the base of the windshield above the dash. Better out of town reception but still bad in some parts of town. Stupid thing i didn't think of if that when it rains, every time the wiper sweep past where the antenna faces-big noise from the radio. When it warms up i may try placing it at the top of the windshield. I looked where the OG one is ,but i won't even try to put one there until i have to remove the dash to do something else, because it seems it's not to easy to get the wire through if there isn't one there already to use as a lead.
1971 super beetle

1990 t3 transporter 1.9na
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

I bought my antenna at Addison! (a electronic surplus store in Montreal here) for $7!

I know it sucks for car wash and stuff but the reception is good!

Drill the hole! It is easy to pass the wire... you would need to remover the fuse panel or the instrument panel.