radio wiring

Moderator: Fatmobile

peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

radio wiring

Post by peggysgirl »

hi guys ,I'm back..I am getting ready to install a radio in my 1982 Vanagon, that had no stock radio in it.The manufacturer left a wiring harness type deal that appears to have plugged into the back of the stock radio. I need to know what the 3 wires represent as my manual does not define them.
1. blue-grey
2.brown
3.red
Can some one help? thanks
Anne Marcotte
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Do you have the information on the stereo itself? I imagine the brown is ground and the other two are power, one switched with the ignition to on and one with constant battery power even when the key is off in order to save the clock and presets. I'm not sure which is which.

Andrew
peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

radio wiring

Post by peggysgirl »

thanks for your prompt reply.the new radio wiring says black is ground,yellow is battery and red is accessory/ignition
Anne Marcotte
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

You could use a test light or voltmeter to determine which of the wires carries switched current and which carries battery current.

Andrew
stopping
Diesel Freak

Post by stopping »

Brown on the Van is ground.

In the manual look for the "X" wire/ connection at the ignition.That is the accessory wire it's power is cut when the starter is engaged.

Grey on the van is likely the dimmer but your manual will be better than my speculating... I can check on mine... I have the same van.