What diesel engines will fit in a gas Vanagon?

Moderator: Fatmobile

islandjeeper
Glow Plug

What diesel engines will fit in a gas Vanagon?

Post by islandjeeper »

Hello, I am new to the site and am a proud new owner of a 1987 Vanagon camper. It is currently gas powered, I am interested in converting to a mechanical turbo diesel. I have been trying to do searches to see what engines will fit and what parts are required to make them fit and have not found a good list. I believe a 1.6 TD or 1.9 TD will fit with different mounts. I live at 6000 feet so the most power is best for me. I have a 4 speed manual transmission. So I guess if someone could tell me what engines will bolt up to that transmission and fit in the engine compartment that would be great. Of course I mean Volkswagen turbo diesel engines. If anyone can help or point me in the right direction that would be great. Thanks!!
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

All of the four cylinder engines up through 97, including the 1z/AHU TDI engines will bolt up using the stock diesel vanagon mounting parts. There are gothchas for each.

Andrew
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

At a minimum you will need these. http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=550089 You will also need a Diesel transmission bellhousing. I have seen this person selling diesel bellhousings, oil pans and flywheels too. Keep and eye on ebay too. I have a flybywire TDI ALH in my Vanagon at 50 degrees. My vanagon was a Diesel originally, but I did not have access to the earlier TDI diesel. I had to manufacture from scratch engine mounts and an oil pan. Including the wiring, it was a lot of work. There is a yahoo group devoted to TDI vanagon conversions. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TDI-conversion It can be done. Regards
Chris76
Glow Plug

Post by Chris76 »

I've got a code: 1Z engine in my 1988 T25 (Multivan), was from a VW Golf TDI Mk3 from 1996. I bought it with an engine conversion already so I dont really know what else needs done to it...
Mok1953
Glow Plug

NA Diesel in gas vanagon with auto

Post by Mok1953 »

I have this old vanagon with one front grill (that means originally air-cooled, right?) that has a waterboxer (broken) in it now. I have three NA diesels sitting around and would like to install one of these (I don't care if it is slow). Is this doable? What do I need in the way of mounts and adapters, if any? Thanks, I have been using this site and buying parts here for about 10 years but never posted.
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

Check over at the Samba too. There was someone that put a radiator into a an aircooled Vanagon. It was a lot of work from what I remember. Also, look at the links I posted above. If you have NA 1.6 Diesel engine, my guess is you will need a complete vanagon diesel transmission. The gasser transmission is too tall for an NA 1.6 diesel.