Cars and Parts
Please list location (city, state) of merchandise in thread title

Moderator: Fatmobile

000utback
Glow Plug

lower rpms 92 Eco AVX

Post by 000utback »

Men:
My 92 Jetta Ecodiesel with 208,000 is getting ready for a new clutch. Since I drive interstate all the time, I'm interested in swapping in an ACN or ASF transmission instead of the AVX. From all the charts and etc I've found, they all have the 90mm drive axle flange and the 22 mainshaft bearing. The ACN or ASF will drop my rpm at 65mph from 3000 to 2600. So, is this just a drop in transmission trade? bolt holes, mounts, linkage etc the same on these models? Anybody have one for sale? thanks
92 Jetta ECOdiesel
182,000 miles
AC, cruise, sunroof all work!
44 mpg
Crankin
Glow Plug

ACN Tranny

Post by Crankin »

I think that I have a 85 ACN. I don't know if its a drop in.
QuantumDave
Cetane Booster

Think Twice

Post by QuantumDave »

I did this not too long ago and after having studied the gearing chart carefully I decided to go with an AGS code tranny and then had 5th gear swapped from .75 to .71 I'm happy with the results, but If I had to do it over, I'd go with a transaxle from a MK3. I haven't logged less than 50K miles per year since several years ago, and I usually hold 78-80 MPH on the highway. Only wish I did it sooner- like the day after I bought it!

Dave
91 Jetta 1.6 NA
374K & still going on the original engine & IP at the time I sold it.
That car taught me quite a bit.
97 Passat TDI 277K
05 Passat TDI 48K
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

If your not real power hunger like me you can go for one of these,ASF, AON, ACN, ACL. They all the same and have the lowest final drive of 3.67. Then do the 5th gear swap to .71. When you cruse at 60 you will be doing 2250rpm. Nice and quite. Mileage should jump up about 5% to 7%.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
000utback
Glow Plug

Post by 000utback »

Thanks for all the responses. I'm checking the local salvage yards to see what they have. There was a ring/pinion set on ebay. Mebbe better to put that in my known 200k gearbox instead of an unknown from salvage.
92 Jetta ECOdiesel
182,000 miles
AC, cruise, sunroof all work!
44 mpg
Ziptar
Cetane Booster

Post by Ziptar »

It is a direct bolt-in swap.

Depending on the year of the trans axle you swap in you might have to change the reverse light switch as the electrical connector could be different, use your old one. The wiring changed part way through 1989 (exact month varies by model) from CE1 to CE2. The axles are the same (90mm), as are the mounts, shift linkage, etc. While you are swapping put in new output shaft seals and also take the opportunity to replace the shifter bushings.

I have an ASF mated to an Eco (was an AVX), I have no problems with the low 1st & 2nd around town.

80MPH @ 3,000 RPM Tire size 195/60-14 :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uE88ckZgJN0

The trans axle has ~195k on it and the final has gotten a bit whinny. Later this year I plan on pulling it and sending it to Broke VW for a rebuild and to have the 0.75 5th swapped out for an 0.71.
MkII Jetta Carat Turbo Diesel 220,000 miles
Fully Baptized Zealot in the Church of Compression Ignition :D
My Heatware 30, 0, 0
Dakotakid
Diesel Freak

Post by Dakotakid »

Hello Zip:
Are you still running the stock Eco fuel pump and cat. convertor with this trans??
The center-core beam melter has been given a new lease.
Ziptar
Cetane Booster

Post by Ziptar »

sort of, I haven't swapped to an LDA pump yet, the CAT was already gutted when I got it.
MkII Jetta Carat Turbo Diesel 220,000 miles
Fully Baptized Zealot in the Church of Compression Ignition :D
My Heatware 30, 0, 0