general maintance questions from a newbie.

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

jethrobodean
Cetane Booster

general maintance questions from a newbie.

Post by jethrobodean »

On a 81 VW how many average miles should the oil be changed and what wieght oil should I be using
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Please post your location in your profile. Oil weights are different in the south vs in Alaska. If you don't have a Bentley manual, you should get one. It will address what oil weights to use at what temps.

I run an aftermarket oil filtration system in my 82 that's made by Frantz. I change that filter each 2000-3000 miles, depending on how I feel. Otherwise, I would say somewhere in the 2000-4000 mile range for changing the actual oil in one of these. That's my opinion anyways. Welcome to the VW diesel world.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Post by v8volvo »

I run Chevron Delo 400 (can get the big gallon jugs of it cheap at costco) and change it every 7-8k. Thinking about switching to synthetic on the next change and running it to 20-30k and seeing what happens. I know people with Volvo diesels and TDIs that change their oil around 25k with excellent results, using Mobil 1 of course. Stuff just doesn't break down, seems like.
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k
VW cat
Turbo Charger

Post by VW cat »

I change oil on all our vehicles at 5000km. I use #30 diesel oil in the summer and #10W-30 in the winter. In the dead of winter I use #5W-20, for easier starting. Phil
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think the Bentley recommends 5000km. oil changes. I think 15w-40 dino is a good starting point. I run it year round. -15C is the limit for starting for me with his oil. After that it needs to be plugged in. If I want a little more cold weather starting 0w-40 is my choice. 5-20 is a oil for north of the arctic circle as far as I can surmise. If the temperature goes to 10C you really don't have much protection. As 82vdub said, " it's addressed in the Bentley."
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Tribology.

Post by hagar »

We in the diesel gang have no such thing , A stuck injector will ruin oil in no time.

SO ? we do a blotter test at regular intervals. Mail yours to me and I will analyze for free.. ExxonMobil tribology department say Soot is sandpaper in solution.

See you have to be a manager EH ?.

hagar.