Recommend Motor Oil

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

oilburner
Glow Plug

Recommend Motor Oil

Post by oilburner »

This is a bit of an open ended question but I bet there are alot of opinions. I would guess this has been discussed already but either I'm a searching moron or its archived or something. Anyway, here it goes.

I just purchased a 91 1.6l Jetta. No owners manual. Haven't picked up a Bentley yet. I would like to know what motor oil to use. Car has about 200k miles. PO said he changed the oil about a month ago but it would make me feel better to get it changed asap. I run Chevron Delo 15W-40 in my truck. Can I use the same stuff? I expect to get much advice on the synthetic to Dino discussion. Happy to hear it but I need a quick response so I can get it changed quickly and then research the syn later. The truck forums I frequent talk about 25k miles between synthetic changes. I have to say, I'm old and it will be a long freaking time before I get comfortable with changing oil once a year.

So what weight oil should I be using?
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Two major choices: Dino oil or synthetic (or a multi-mix style).

You could have issues with oil leaks when going to synthetic, but you may get lucky and not have any leaks. I run dino oil because I don't want more leaks than I already have. I run 15W-40 in the summer car, and 10W-40 in the winter car. You're in the Pacific NW, but I don't know what temps you're at, but 15W-40 is probably where you can start, since we're on the upslope for temps this time of year.

BTW, in my summer car, I change the oil only once a year, no matter how many miles I put on it. I've got an external oil filter on it and 350K miles on the clock and the shortblock has never been apart (head's been done before). I change the oil filter every 2000-4000 miles and the car uses a quart of oil (or leaks it) roughly every 1500 miles. It's been treated to this same oil change interval since my father purchased it new in 1982. The oil in my gas hauling truck is probably 8 years old and 25k on a rebuild. Lately, it only see's roughly 1000 miles a year, but when it does, it works. All dino oil used here. I just change oil filter elements. Am I nuts? Oh, I'm waiting for the comments to be posted for making these statements 8)
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
oilburner
Glow Plug

Post by oilburner »

when you say external, I assume you are talking about addition of a remote dual filter or something along that line? I would think that 350K on the clock is testament to your regimen working but I haven't been able to convince myself to do it. I'll replace the oil and filter with the DELO I have.

What does 8 year old oil look like? A bit on the thick side? :D
coke

Post by coke »

Shell Rotella T 15W40 Dino oil
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

The important thing is that the oil needs to be rated for diesels.... ie has a "C" rating.

When your car was made this was CC or CD... today's diesel-rated oils are CI-4 and beyond... but all are formulated specifically to handle the additional soot and other combustion byproducts of diesel fuel.

From a viscosity perspective there's no real difference between engine types... if you live in a climate that calls for 5W-30 in the winter for your gasser then so be it for your diesel as well.

If you go too thin on a high mile engine you may find your oil buzzer coming on after a spirited drive on the highway, but too thick and cold-weather starting might be an issue (diesels need a good cranking speed to push over 23:1 compression).

When you get the Bentley it will have a good chart in the first chapter with suggested ranges.... and climate has a lot to do with it.

Just as one example... I live in northern Canada where temperatures can range from -25F to +95F, and a 5W50 C-rated synthetic is perfect for my climate... nice and thin in the winter but thick enough for good protection on hot summer days on the highway. I change it twice a year, but don't have to worry about being caught in the fall by a cold snap.
Last edited by Vincent Waldon on Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Oil ?

Post by hagar »

fast response ? Go ahead and use it. We will tellyou more later.

hagar
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

oilburner wrote:when you say external, I assume you are talking about addition of a remote dual filter or something along that line? I would think that 350K on the clock is testament to your regimen working but I haven't been able to convince myself to do it. I'll replace the oil and filter with the DELO I have.

The filter is a partial flow external filter. Partial flow means that it takes oil from the engine, filters it, then returns it to the oil pan. Any oil to the engine internals goes through the factory oiling/filter system. It's a filter made by the Frantz corporation and utilizes a special roll of toilet paper for the filter element. I like it because when the oil filter is changed, you can instantly see any bits of metal on the top of the element and get an idea if you're going to have a bearing or other issue.
oilburner wrote:What does 8 year old oil look like? A bit on the thick side? :D
8 year old oil looks a little darker than oil out of the bottle, but not as dark as regular engine oil without this type of filter on it. On a gas engine, the oil will stay a nice honey color (although a little darker than out of the bottle) for a long time.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count