Timing Belt Guessing Game

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

thurstonaa
Glow Plug

Timing Belt Guessing Game

Post by thurstonaa »

I've come across a 94 Golf TDI for purchase (gotta love family!). Everything seems to be in good order with the car. Until, I took the timing belt cover off and the timing belt was broken. I have no history of the vehicle. 110k miles. It would be worth it If I bought it and only needed to replace the timing belt. Are there other issues I should be worried about with the engine? Valve/piston damage? Thanks!
94 Golf TD (CAN to US import)
86 Golf 1.6 NA
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

The guy with the local auto repair shop has a TDI beatle.
The water pump froze up and ripped the teath off the belt.
Even without teeth; the belt kept the cam rolling enough to keep the pistons from hurting the valves.
If your belt is broke, you probably won't be as lucky.
Probably pistons being introduced to the valves.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
thurstonaa
Glow Plug

Post by thurstonaa »

The price was right, I bought the car. I'll make a profit by parting it out if need be. It's Canadian (Naturalized with a US Title!). The body and undercarriage are in very good shape. As soon as a I get my tools on it, I'm going to pull the head off and check for damage... crossing fingers for no piston damage.

Maybe it's time to test my savvy at posting pictures... so I can reveal the findings.

Also, if anybody has any links or knowledge of existing threads to pulling the cylinder head, that would be appreciated.
94 Golf TD (CAN to US import)
86 Golf 1.6 NA
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

I think your pistons are fine but at least some of the valves are probably bent.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

A 94 shouldn't be a Tdi.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>