My New Winter Jetta

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

82vdub
Turbo Charger

My New Winter Jetta

Post by 82vdub »

The old 86 Jetta I picked up 4 years ago has seen much better days. With the drivers seat starting to go through the floor for the second time, it was time to find something else for winter use.

We just got back from Central IL area this weekend to bring home the new replacement. It's an 86 Deluxe Jetta gasser. Car was in better shape then I counted on (purchased through the online auction site) and it's going to kill me to use it for a winter beater. The car has fuel pump or other fuel issues, so I purchased it as a non-runner (however, did get it started last night). Never heard of a deluxe Jetta before, but the interior on the car is really nice. I will also be looking for both the rear door panels that match the existing - tan in color.

I need to get the car running properly (I could only get it to idle last night), stop the moonroof from leaking, and get the left rear door to open. That's all I know is wrong with it at this time. 1.8L gasser 5 speed. Never wrenched on a gasser VW before.

The old winter Jetta (blue) is at the bottom.

Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The moonroof will most likely just need the drains chased.

I know I got a rear jetta door open once by removing the panel but it was over 10 years ago, so the details escape me.

Andrew
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

The headliner is missing from the car, so the drains were readily available. I did remove the 4 hoses and blew through them, and I didn't notice any resistance when I did this.

Where do the two rear drain lines end up running to outside the car? I haven't searched for their outlets yet, but was going to sometime.

I do have the rear door panel mostly off from the subject door, but can't yet figure out what to push or pull on the latch mechanism to get the door to open. I'm 99.9% sure I'll eventually get it to open, as this isn't the first door I've had to mess with in my life.

I have too many to count
Diesel Dean
Turbo Charger

Post by Diesel Dean »

Old blue looks real sad. But the new one looks great. My 85 Jetta had the 1.8 before the diesel swap. It has two fuel pumps one in the tank and one under the rear passengars floor. My in tank pump was not working only the one under the floor. It would not run right. It was allways starving for gas.
1981 VW Diesel truck / 1984 Rabbit car welded together
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Tonight I had about 45 minutes of light left and worked on it a bit. I pulled the fuel pump cover, and had voltage on one of the terminals of the pump connector (don't have a Bentley that covers this year Jetta yet). I could not hear the fuel pump run.

I started the car and it immediately died, but I heard the fuel pump run for a second then quit, a couple other turns of the key and the car is running, but any touch of the gas and the car starts to sputter. It sounded like it was ignition related. It idles great, but touch the gas and it sputters. I pulled the distributor cap and the terminals were in pretty bad shape. I cleaned them up and fixed one of the clips that holds it down, and ran it again. Same problem. I can feather the throttle and get the car up to 3000+RPM, so I'm kind of leading to it being something besides a fuel pump at this point.

Before you converted yours to diesel, how did it run and what was the symptoms you had? I will check for an additional fuel pump under the car, the fuel filter, fuel pressure etc as I can, but I will need to get some additional testing tools as I don't have an injection fuel pressure gauge at this time.

I have too many to count
ledavis23
Glow Plug

Post by ledavis23 »

I have rear door panels that will match your car. Well, I don't have them, but that's the exact interior of the car that we took a water pump off of at the junkyard today. The entire interior was immaculate. PM me if you want them and I'll go pull them. Oh, and I think the car still had the headliner in it too. It was the one with the sunroof. And I could get you that matching center console as well if you want one that looks pretty.
1986 1.6L non-turbo Jetta
2000 Jetta TDI
bvolks
Cetane Booster

Post by bvolks »

That has CIS fuel injection, right? I had the same problem with my 89 GLI (with 85 engine and fuel injection swap) and it was the control pressure regulator on the front of the motor. I took it apart and cleaned it and it cured the problem.
Here's a video of what mine was doing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=74Qofqxq ... re=related
Here it is after cleaning the CPR.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zbfk0Sas ... onse_watch
1985 Diesel Coupe 755,000 kms (now dead at 756,498 kms)
1989 GLI
1971 VW Pickup
1995 Golf CL
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

bvolks wrote:That has CIS fuel injection, right? I had the same problem with my 89 GLI (with 85 engine and fuel injection swap) and it was the control pressure regulator on the front of the motor. I took it apart and cleaned it and it cured the problem.
I have no idea what fuel injection system is on it. This is my first VW gasser I've owned. Your car started much harder than mine. Mine fire's right up, to quickly die for the first 2-3 tries. Exactly like if you dumped some fuel down a carb (I know this doesn't have a carb) and hit the key. That's how mine starts, but then after a couple tries, it idles just like it should. Touch the pedal, and it sputters.

Is the CPR the device that's located to the passenger side of the distributor and above the oil filter? At a minimum, I can remove the CPR and clean it as best I can.

I have too many to count
bvolks
Cetane Booster

Post by bvolks »

That's it. It has 2 braided fuel lines and 2 wires going to it. That video was taken in colder weather. It fired right up when it was warm outside but I couldn't touch the gas pedal until it warmed up or it would quit. If I plugged the block heater in for a half hour of so before i tried to start it, it would fire right up and would take it's gas fine.
1985 Diesel Coupe 755,000 kms (now dead at 756,498 kms)
1989 GLI
1971 VW Pickup
1995 Golf CL
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Ok thanks. I'll concentrate on looking at this first and post results on what happens.

I have too many to count
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I think there are three different fuel systems on the A2' not counting the twin cam as far as I can determine. By looking at the numbers on the front of the block you can determine what fuel system you have. Mine is rusted off so I'm not real sure what is in it. It's a GTI and I think they took the twin cam out and replaced it with a 8 valve. Some times it just won't run or you almost have to floor it to get it to run. I've try a different computer and switched some wires around. Now I found a oxygen sensor hanging by the exhaust. :roll:
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Ok all, I finally had enough time on the car and checked out a lot of the fuel system components per the Bentley manual. The car does have the CIS injection system on it and I finally got it to run well enough to actually drive tonight. For the most part, everything checks out OK. Here's what I find:

- air flow sensor cleaned and adjusted per the Bentley manual.
- control pressure regulator disassembled, and cleaned.
- system fuel pressure: 71PSI.
- system fuel flow: exceeds quantity in the Bentley manual.
- fuel system residual pressure: 41PSI (after 10 minutes). Exceeds Bentley manual.
- control pressure regulator resistance: 12 ohms (Bentley says it needs 22 ohms - however unit adjusts pressure as it should).
- control pressure regulator fuel pressure: 30PSI cold, 51PSI warm
- cold start solenoid: sprays as it should and does not drip. Sprays longer than the Bentley says it should, but otherwise functions fine.
- Aux air regulator: Good question. RPM does not drop when engine is warm when hose pinched (which is correct), but when cold, RPM does not drop either (Bentley says it should).

I am going to physically verify the open/closed operation of the aux air regulator when I get time (not relying on the RPM drop), however, not tonight.

The car idles and often has a miss and at part throttle, the car misses and stumbles. However, when I give it enough gas to open the second blades in the throttlebody, it runs great with no misses.

Question:

Anyone have an idea if an aux air regulator valve that doesn't operate as it should if it could effect full, or near full, throttle performance? I find no wires or anything on the fuel injection unit that would sense when the second throttle blades start to open, except for maybe the air flow sensor moves slightly more adjusting the fuel to the engine. I'm baffled on this one. Anyone have thoughts or ideas on what happens with the system when those second blades are cracked open??

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

vacuum drops, so vacuum leaks become less troublesome.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

That's a very good point, and where I started. I did check as many vacuum lines as I could, but I can certainly give it another review. I find it a daunting task chasing all these lines that go to devices that I have no clue what the serve, or how they are supposed to control anything on this car. I'm learning a lot on VW fuel injection, that's for sure.

I have too many to count
odie
Cetane Booster

Post by odie »

new jetta looks nice. not many that clean to be found anymore.
1981 VW Caddy with 85 diesel Jetta motor
1987 MB 300TDT diesel
1983 D50 Ram 2.3TD diesel
1985 Isuzu Pup 223 diesel
1983 RV 6.2 TD diesel
1983 Maxima diesel (sold) :-(