BMW Springs in Rear of Quantum/Fox

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

timmayjimmay
Glow Plug

BMW Springs in Rear of Quantum/Fox

Post by timmayjimmay »

Due to my need for more tongue weight capacity, I decided to put bigger springs in the rear of the ol' Quantum (wagon). After a few hours at the u-pull-it I found that rear springs from a BMW 735 will fit exactly into the strut, no modifications needed at all. The springs are identical height but the beamer is 1.5mm thicker and you get one extra coil. No more saggy springs on the Q! Now she'll take 250lbs. on the hitch and be just above level. I've had many Foxes and Q's and all of them had soggy springs. Try it out, it WORKS. As Hagar would say, "it is gospel".
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

Wonder if the fronts would fit the front? I've got a broken stock coil on my wagon.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?
timmayjimmay
Glow Plug

Post by timmayjimmay »

I did not check out the front but I wouldn't be surprised if they did fit. If you have a u-pull-it yard handy I recommend taking yours and shopping around. It's very cathartic to see all the dead cars and get to break whatever you want! Good luck finding a Q in your local yard. Foxes are more common and the springs do interchange.
Quantum-man
Turbo Charger

Re: BMW Springs in Rear of Quantum/Fox

Post by Quantum-man »

timmayjimmay wrote:Due to my need for more tongue weight capacity, I decided to put bigger springs in the rear of the ol' Quantum (wagon). After a few hours at the u-pull-it I found that rear springs from a BMW 735 will fit exactly into the strut, no modifications needed at all. The springs are identical height but the beamer is 1.5mm thicker and you get one extra coil. No more saggy springs on the Q! Now she'll take 250lbs. on the hitch and be just above level. I've had many Foxes and Q's and all of them had soggy springs. Try it out, it WORKS. As Hagar would say, "it is gospel".
Great idea.

Some of my 'Q's are getting soft. Can some of it be due to the rear axle rubber bushes getting old too?

Do you know if any other vehicle has substitute bushes that fit? Recent searches make me think these are recently out of stock with alternative suppliers...

What other rear springs fit a Quantum?
"I'm not here to help... I'm here to Pro-Volke"

Be like meeee...Drive a Quantum TD
...The best work-horse after the cart...

Quantae grow on you...but Rabbits are like roses...
... girls like em ;o)

Only one Darwin, Einstein, Poe and Verne.
That is why if you listen, you will learn:
From the one and only Quantum-man,
Who sees the worms from outside of the can.

7 Quantae in 20 years; 4 dead and 3 TD's still alive [2 wagons & 1 fastback] oh and a GTD :o)