1.6 or 1.9 pump/injectors?

Moderator: Fatmobile

jolotter
Diesel Freak

1.6 or 1.9 pump/injectors?

Post by jolotter »

Last year I installed a 1.6 TD in place of the original 1.9 WBX. It's been running very well since then. My only complaint other than the lack of pulling power is the exponential increase in engine noise when I go over 100km/h in 4th. I don't have a tach. I'm currently running at stock boost/fueling while I get gauged-up.

The IP recently started to leak (a drip every 2 secs at idle) at the joint of the head (the block that the injector lines attach to) and the body.

I have a complete 1.9 TD engine in my shed. What can I swap to get me on the road quickly (ie pump only) and what would be the best combination of 1.6 and 1.9 parts for performance/economy?

I'm a country roads driver, but need to pull the family, dog, canoe, musical instruments and all the camping gear over lots of hills.
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
93 1.9TD engine in the shed
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

To fix the leak most easily you can actually change that o-ring without removing the head, but the correct procedure MUST be followed to be sure you don't end up with a pile of scrap when you're done.

Read the whole thing:

http://vwdieselparts.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5311

If there's something you don't understand, then ask before starting.
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

Thanks. I read all nine pages and I'm glad I did. I'll post my experience on that other thread after I get the part and get it on.
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
jolotter
Diesel Freak

Post by jolotter »

Except for the aneroid (sp?) pin and the low-boost-fuel-limiter thing, is the 1.9 pump the same as the 1.6? Does it put out more fuel and might i need the extra on a 1.6?

I think the 1.9 injectors are two stage. Is that for performance or economy?

Johann
83.5 Westy 1.6 TD
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The 1.9 camplate is more aggressive and so shortens the injection duration for a given amount of fuel, but the difference is not very big. A 1.6 pump can certainly provide adequate fuel for a 1.9 and vice versa.

I think the 2-stage injectors are to make it quieter with less clacking.