vent windows

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Dallas
Cetane Booster

vent windows

Post by Dallas »

I would like to replace my glue in vent windows with the bolt in type.
Can I just replace the glass and drill holes in the existing hinges?
And if so, and I can find some in a salvage yard, what size and type of fasteners are used oem so I know what tools to carry when searching??
I believe that some of the 83-84 Rabbits had bolt in windows as far as I can find.
Dallas
81 Rabbit
80 GL 1100 Gold Wing
92 GL 1500 Gold Wing
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

I put the bolted vents into my '81 about 15-20 years ago, at that time they were available new from VW, so I got mine new. They came with rivets for hinge pins, but I just used a machine screw and lock nut on mine. Probably easiest to pull the whole frame out at the j/y, might see what tools you need to get yours out.
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

If you can't find bolt ones there are the nonopening windows too, it'll at least quiet down the wind noise.....some :lol:
Dallas
Cetane Booster

Post by Dallas »

I have one glued shut now. When it is hot, yes it does get hot in ND, I almost suffocate in the car. I run the fan on high and if that noise does not bother anyone else, it sure does me. I am not to worried about wind noise, just would like some ventilation. I also am asking how do the windows fasten to the frame. Is the glass bolted to the hinge plates? Or is it glued to the hinge plates like the others. If I had A/C I would seal the vents and not worry.
Dallas
81 Rabbit
80 GL 1100 Gold Wing
92 GL 1500 Gold Wing
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

My bolted in vents have one part of the hinge bolted through a hole in the glass. Then the other half is on the frame and a rivet holds them together. The bottom pivot drops into a hole in the frame and the latch is likewise bolted through a hole in the glass. I like the ventilation of the vents, not noisy at all at speed and with the rear slider window open in my pickup, there is a good flow of air through the cab. With no A/C, makes a big difference in comfort for sure.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

vent windows.

Post by hagar »

Dallas : and ALL . : will those triangular pivoting windows from a 1980 Rabbit fit a 1983 door ?

80 is a four door 83 is a two door . (forget about the rear). anybody know ?

We have a heat wave , and it comes to mind EH ?.

All my other automobiles have them, they work. , blast of air right on the driver. .

hagar.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Re: vent windows.

Post by 82vdub »

hagar wrote:80 is a four door 83 is a two door . (forget about the rear). anybody know ?
Knowing VW, the vent windows between a 2D and 4D would be identical. I don't know for a fact, but I believe they are the same.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

vent windows.

Post by hagar »

Dallas and All : 82vdub Thanks , I am taking the door to Pine Tree Auto Body and have them do the change , when they install my New wind-shield. . I was going to do it here , BUT my medical condition makes it impossible.

It will be done , read my lips.

hagar.
Dallas
Cetane Booster

Post by Dallas »

So, do I have to carry my 80 lb tool box to the salvage yard, or just a couple 10 mm wrenches and a screw driver to remove the glass. Or just buy the doors or what to get the glass. The salvage yard is roughly 250 miles from my house and will be taking my Gold Wing with a small camper trailer to get the glass. I don't really have to room or weight capacity to carry the tool box. That is why I was asking in the first place.
Dallas
81 Rabbit
80 GL 1100 Gold Wing
92 GL 1500 Gold Wing
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Dallas wrote:So, do I have to carry my 80 lb tool box to the salvage yard, or just a couple 10 mm wrenches and a screw driver to remove the glass. Or just buy the doors or what to get the glass. The salvage yard is roughly 250 miles from my house and will be taking my Gold Wing with a small camper trailer to get the glass. I don't really have to room or weight capacity to carry the tool box. That is why I was asking in the first place.
As I mentioned in an earlier post, see what tools you need to get your existing vent window frame out of the door. That will likely be similar to what you need to get the replacement out at the junk yard. I don't recall needing a whole boatload of tools when I swapped mine out, but that was more than 15 years ago so I don't recall any details.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

I don't think it's that hard. Remove door "cardboard", roll window down and then you gotta take the little "post" between the rolling and vent windows out....I think the screw is at the bottom end. Then the seal and glass come out together.

Watch for bees nests in the junkyard!!!! I was at one a few week ago that doesn't get mowed at all and smells like a flower garden, I was drooling over a diesel bunny, opening the doors and stuff and this horrible buzzing noise chased me away. I went back a little while later and found a good sized nest under the front fender :shock:
Hexar
Cetane Booster

Post by Hexar »

I am about to do this as well.

What I did so far:
1. remove the upper screw that holds the vertical bar to the door frame.
2. remove the rivet that holds the vertical bar to the door panel (had to remove the door "cardboard" earlier)

Then I could not remove/slide out the "triangle" vent window.

Is there any other screw or rivet that holds the window to the door? I did not really use large force though, fearing that I might break it.

Thanks!
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Vent window.

Post by hagar »

Triangular vent window "pivoting" I tried to remove it NO luck glue let go , The glass is O.K.. SO? It will be put on the back burner.. I still have the Sunroof , that will have to do.

hagar.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Hexar,
You didn't mention removing the window.
The verticle bar supports the window and has to be removed before the wing will come out.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Vent window.

Post by hagar »

mine will not be done this time Read my lips.

hagar.