Fuel Additives

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Fuel Additives

Post by Thomas M »

1991 Jetta non-turbo diesel, 247,000 miles.

I am the original owner and only driver of this car. I have never put anything in the fuel tank except diesel. Should I start now? Is it good preventative maintenance to add to the fuel as the engine may be reaching middle age?

I can nudge, I mean really nudge it up to about 48mpg.....may a hair more. I am burning minimal oil and except for the normal diesel rattling the car runs fine. Why would I now put an additive into the fuel?? Are there good reasons to start spiking my fuel??? Would it help the injectors or pump with this many miles???

Comments are welcome and appreciated.
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

When your car was made, diesel fuel had 2000 parts per million (PPM) of sulfer in the fuel. Sulfer is a lubricant. In the mid-late 90's, this was dropped to 500 PPM, and starting in 2007 it dropped to 15ppm. The IP in your car was not designed to run on 15PPM fuel, but manufacturers are supposed to add additive to the fuels to bring up lubrication properties.

I run a mixture of wax, 30W non-detergent oil, and Stanadyne fuel additive to each tank of fuel in the summer. In the winter, I skip the wax part, but add oil and Stanadyne fuel conditioner to the fuel. It's designed to clean the fuel system and raise the lubrication properties. I would at least add fuel conditioner to the fuel system a few times a year, at a minimum.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
odie
Cetane Booster

Post by odie »

a small amount of oil probably can't hurt.

I'd suggest either 2-stroke oil, ATF, vegetable/cooking oil, Power Services stuff, or even some engine oil.

everyone has their own favorite snake oil. maybe i'll blend it all and make a cocktail, lol.

probably a cup or less per tankfull is all you need. I just kinda WAG it.

I've been using PS products. but only when i remember to add it. I think I'm gonna switch to some kind oil when my bottle is empty.
1981 VW Caddy with 85 diesel Jetta motor
1987 MB 300TDT diesel
1983 D50 Ram 2.3TD diesel
1985 Isuzu Pup 223 diesel
1983 RV 6.2 TD diesel
1983 Maxima diesel (sold) :-(
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

I run a mix of Stanadyne and 2-stroke oil in mine, details below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/VWpickup.shtml#Vehicle
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
odie
Cetane Booster

Post by odie »

so you are the project caddy shack dude. I've had that link in my favorites "vw" folder for 2 or 3 years.
1987 MB 300TDT diesel
1983 RV 6.2 TD diesel
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

VWCaddy wrote:I run a mix of Stanadyne and 2-stroke oil in mine, details below:
- http://www.4crawler.com/VWpickup.shtml#Vehicle
Just read through your site the other day.
GREAT STUFF!!
Diesel Newbedo
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

Due to reports of reduced lubrocity of ULSD I have been adding 1/2 qt. of non-detergent 30w oil to each tank of dino fuel and am considering whipping up a pre-mix of 30w, diesel and wax.
Any suggestions as to mix ratios?
Diesel Newbedo
MPalm
Turbo Charger

Post by MPalm »

82vdub wrote:When your car was made, diesel fuel had 2000 parts per million (PPM) of sulfer in the fuel. Sulfer is a lubricant. In the mid-late 90's, this was dropped to 500 PPM, and starting in 2007 it dropped to 15ppm. The IP in your car was not designed to run on 15PPM fuel, but manufacturers are supposed to add additive to the fuels to bring up lubrication properties.

I run a mixture of wax, 30W non-detergent oil, and Stanadyne fuel additive to each tank of fuel in the summer. In the winter, I skip the wax part, but add oil and Stanadyne fuel conditioner to the fuel. It's designed to clean the fuel system and raise the lubrication properties. I would at least add fuel conditioner to the fuel system a few times a year, at a minimum.
It is a european car and the european diesel has had 5-30 PPM since early 90's. I guess that the IP's are made to german spec even if the car is assembled elsewhere?
With that said, yes you should use something to that increases lubrication since the ULSD you have over there doesn't meet the lubrication specs set by Bosch.
I would use 2-stroke oil.
Golf IV TDI -98 330000km
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

An oil that is meant to burn like 2-stroke oil is often ashless.
Wax is ashless.
Ashes causes wear.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

What is this "wax" that some add to the fuel??

Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Regular parafin "candle" wax that's dissolved in fuel and added to the tank of fuel. Not sure how cold it gets in Vancouver or where you take your car, but make sure you do your own testing on amount of wax added to fuel before you run the car in cold temps. Could solidify and cause headaches for you.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

I run 2oz Redline Diesel fuel catalyst per tank. Usually about 8-9 gal at fill up.
I have been getting 48-51mpg driving 65-70mph.
The injection pump was rebuilt with the new type seals back when the government reduced the sulfur the first time back in '93 or '94. The P/O had the State cover the cost.
Pump is advanced 1mm. Simple redneck cold intake hose installed a couple weeks ago. Before that I could never break 50mpg commuting to work. Light port cleanup job and gasket match at overhaul. K&N filter. FN Trans. 40psi in 195-60-14 tires. Odometer checked with GPS.
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

Bormie,

What is the "Simple redneck cold intake hose"??????

General Question: As I understand, Automatic transmission fluid is used as a cleaner. However, I don't think it is designed to burn and therefore leaves and ash which could be dertrimental to the system. I was warned about this by a diesel tech.
Is it ok to use the ATF once in a while and a little at a time or should one invest a a commerical injector type cleaner?????

Bormie
Cetane Booster

Post by Bormie »

The redneck cold air intake is just a piece of molded 2in hose about 1 1/2 ft long with a slight bend that I clamped onto the stock plastic intake that puts the inlet between the fender and frame away from the top of the engine. I think vw changed the design in 85 to intake from the inner fender.
odie
Cetane Booster

Post by odie »

sounds pretty nifty. cold fresh air is always good.
1987 MB 300TDT diesel
1983 RV 6.2 TD diesel