MKII 1.6 NA Engine Differences

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

rs899
Cetane Booster

MKII 1.6 NA Engine Differences

Post by rs899 »

I have a chance to buy an 85 MKII Golf for cheap money that has an engine that probably broke a rod. It's at a machine shop where they rebuilt the head , but didn't disassemble the bottom end of the engine (still in the car). I have an 82 1.6 N/A pickup with a CR engine and I am not familiar with the engines that went in the MKIIs.

So, what I am wondering about is internal engine parts interchange. I have pistons and rods and cranks aplenty for my older CR engine- are the internals the same on the later 1.6 NA engines? The head looks like a solid lifters 12mm.

Rick
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

It's going to be a 1.6L, and the 1.6L's are pretty much the same. Other than a mech head v's a hydraulic head, the engines are basically the same.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
odie
Cetane Booster

Post by odie »

the only diff i can think of is the hyd lifters...definitely a plus.
1981 VW Caddy with 85 diesel Jetta motor
1987 MB 300TDT diesel
1983 D50 Ram 2.3TD diesel
1985 Isuzu Pup 223 diesel
1983 RV 6.2 TD diesel
1983 Maxima diesel (sold) :-(
rs899
Cetane Booster

Post by rs899 »

I misinformed you guys.

It's a MKII Jetta and it has hydraulic lifters. It is titled as a '91 (can that be?)- VIN # is WVWRG21G7MW238084 and it's mine now for better or worse (but still at the shop down the road so I can't see it right now)

The story I got was that a mechanic tried to put a new timing belt on it and hosed up the timing. #1 cylinder hit its valves. I handed over the few bucks they wanted- it's got a brand new set of tires so I am already ahead even if I junk it.

Once I get it here I will pull the pan off and see what's up under there. I will be looking for advice, no doubt, but that will be several weeks away.

I don't post much here, but I do look in pretty often. My Rabbit pickup is so trouble free that I don't have much to say. I rebuilt the engine on my pickup back in '96, before this forum was around, and I have about 180K miles on the rebuild, with about 400K on the truck. I also have 4 Mercedes OM616/617 diesels.

Rick
odie
Cetane Booster

Post by odie »

91 is still a MKII, golf or jetta...same difference.

well, a trashed top end is worse than a bad rod...if you wanted it for parts...IMHO, you will have more use for a good head/valves for spares than a block.

but new valves and such is cheaper and faster to replace if you need a whole engine.

but i always value the valve train parts the highest. Impossible to replace parts on my 223 Isuzus and 2.3 Mitsubishi diesels.
1981 VW Caddy with 85 diesel Jetta motor
1987 MB 300TDT diesel
1983 D50 Ram 2.3TD diesel
1985 Isuzu Pup 223 diesel
1983 RV 6.2 TD diesel
1983 Maxima diesel (sold) :-(
rs899
Cetane Booster

Post by rs899 »

There's more to the story that I didn't explain. Evidently this was a guy's car and somehow the top end got trashed. So he brought it to this machine shop where they tig welded and rebuilt the head. I guess they had trouble finding another piston/rod and in the meantime the machine shop owner died and the car owner died. The car has been languishing at this machine shop/repair shop for maybe a year and the widow decided to junk the car.

So the head is fixed, the block doesn't look like it has much of a top ridge on it so it may not be much to get it running again (fingers crossed).

I have a couple of good heads in my parts stash anyway- what I don't have is a block that doesn't need reboring and new pistons, and I am hoping this one may be good enough.

Rick
v8volvo
Turbo Charger

Post by v8volvo »

Whoa, what a weird deal. I'm not sure whether to laugh or offer my condolences.

If all that happened was the thing came out of time and trashed the top end, the pistons and rest of the bottom end may still be fine. You might get away with just putting on a new head and seeing what happens.
'81 Rabbit 1.6D/5-speed, sold '09
'86 Volvo 740 TD wagon, 295k