2002 Jetta TDI Excessive Serp. Belt Tensioner Travel?

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Josh8Loop
Glow Plug

2002 Jetta TDI Excessive Serp. Belt Tensioner Travel?

Post by Josh8Loop »

Fellas,

Just some history on my car:

purchased 5 mths ago. Previous owner replaced the Timing belt, T.belt tensioner, water pump etc. Recently I noticed some moisture on the bottom of the Serpentine belt tensioner, so I knew it needed replaced. I ordered one from Prothe and installed it with a new belt.

I was wondering if the total travel of the end of the Serp belt tensioner should be 1/4"? I know there should be some travel, but this seems excessive to me. I am having some noise in that general area(that was there before the tensioner replacement), and wanted to try to track it down so it doesn't do any damage. Do you guys have any operating experience as to the things I might check that might be causing intermittent clacking noise, and high tensioner noise?

Also, just to list some things I have checked:

Idler pulleys roll fine, alternator spins nice with no hang ups, didn't check PS pump, removed upper cover on timing belt area and everything seems tight(IP pulley bolts, cam shaft bolt, etc). I certainly would like to narrow the issue down before it becomes a breakdown on the side of the road :)
2002 VW Jetta TDI, Evry Mod, Line pressure Mod, DRL mod.