Device for improved MPG? See what you think...

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

Josh8Loop
Glow Plug

Device for improved MPG? See what you think...

Post by Josh8Loop »

Fellas,

Just wanted to let you guys know about an interesting device that boasts a little better fuel economy for diesels. This is NOT HHO! This has been tested on a Mercedes Diesel in the article, and has shown improved mileage when used. See what you think:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... N%26um%3D1

Here is another link:

http://www.iop.org/EJ/article/1742-6596 ... 06dedbdff0
2002 VW Jetta TDI, Evry Mod, Line pressure Mod, DRL mod.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

I buy into what they are saying. A hundred dollar device would sell like hot cakes. Or maybe not people are dreamers and like to see 100mpg devices. I have found over the years people buy the dumpiest things snake oil being one of them.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Josh8Loop
Glow Plug

Post by Josh8Loop »

Surfcam,

The interesting thing is that the oil companies have been exposed to the same technology to make pumping thick crude a little easier. I don't think the oil companies would be taken by snakeoil salesman.

I have experimented with this technology on my 2002 jetta TDI. As of yet, I have not gotten it to work. I need to redesign my plates so that the fuel flow is directed evenly across the 4" diameter Stainless Steel screen plates. Once this is done, I believe it will work. The fuel needs to be exposed to the electric field for 5 seconds, so at .2GPM I needed 4" diameter active area on my plates in order to get the desired residence time.
Josh8Loop
Glow Plug

Post by Josh8Loop »

Surfcam,

The other interesting thing is that the Mercedes diesels of later years use lower injection pressures than my newer 2002 TDI, so perhaps the advantage in the older vehicles is more apparent, and in the newer diesels not so much. Maybe I should use my device on an older Mercedes diesel to see if it works in it's current configuration. I still think I will proceed with the reconfiguration, although it is not an easy task to take .2GPM from a 3/8" tube, expand it evenly across a 4" diameter flowpath and reconverge back to a 3/8" outlet in a very short(4") linear length.
surfcam
Turbo Charger

Post by surfcam »

Yes oil companies are no dummies. They still send me a check every month so I think they are smart. :shock: It's the public at large that get's hoodwinked in my estimation. I really buy into incremental mileage gains. The public at large I don't believe would. If a device was installed before the I.P. on a 1.6 vw diesel would it be effective.
99 TDI Jetta (Z1 engine code)
94 Grand Caravan
89 Dodge Gold Stream B class
http://www.antiquedollhouseofpatterns.ca/
Josh8Loop
Glow Plug

Post by Josh8Loop »

Hey Surfcam,

I'm with you on the incremental increases. I get really leary when someone says "Double your fuel mileage", I like seeing the proof. Your question about before the IP on a 1.6 VW Diesel, I'm not sure. I know according to literature on electrorheology it states that the reduced viscosity effect has been noticed some time(30 minutes) or so after the electric field has been turned off. This is very good in our case if it is true.

I also find it interesting that they sketch what appears to be a redesigned injector(which would be on the high pressure side), and you look at the prototype and it has low pressure rubber lines connected to it. That lead me to believe that they are taking advantage of the "memory" effect of the fuel after it is exposed to the high voltage field. It looks as though they have installed it before the IP, and probably after the lift pump on that Mercedes. You know as well as I do that the Mercedes diesel has a fuel return line to the tank after the fuel runs through the IP-this means that the fuel only has one pass through the electrical field before some of it gets consumed, and the rest gets sent back to the tank. Since the effect is cumulative, the remaining fuel sent back to the tank would have a slightly lower viscosity too.

I set mine up a little differently. I knew that the fuel returns to the tank, and it's flow was measured at .2 GPM. I was then able to calculate the diameter I needed to have in order to keep the fuel between the field for the time it needs to be effective. Also, since I knew that my design would be far from optimal, I knew I must use a larger surface area(whick takes too much space) or use a higher voltage between the electrodes. I didn't like the higher voltage option, so I opted to think outside the box. I remembered that the TDI has a thermostatic valve on top of the fuel filter that recircs fuel if it is below a certain temperature, and doesn't allow fuel to return to the tank until it has reached a certain set point. This means that the TDI could be run with only one line to the fuel tank, and that fuel would circulate in a low volume closed loop making many passes. I could use this to help in my endeavor.

I placed my device on the outlet from the IP, and valved off the return line that runs to the tank forcing a closed loop recirculation through my device, and the fuel filter. This gave me many passes of the fuel through the unit, which would hopefully allow me to see a mileage increase. As I mentioned before, I haven't seen any increases yet, but it doesn't mean I have given up! This technology seems sound and very plausible to me, it's just working out the bugs to get some results.