Fuel and Oil Consumption, What Is Normal

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Ira B
Turbo Charger

Fuel and Oil Consumption, What Is Normal

Post by Ira B »

Just wondering what is typical fuel mileage and oil consumption for you guys.

My 81 Caddy is getting about 36 MPG around town vs 49 on the highway.
Burns about 1/2 quart every 1000 miles with 131,000 on the odometer.
Diesel Newbedo
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

There's probably not a general consensus. You can't assume that everyone's engines here that have 130k miles on them are in the same condition as yours. I have a couple diesels out back with less showing on the clock that are dead. Why? I don't know, but they are dead.

My 82 with close to 360k on it uses about a quart every 1000-2000 miles and gets probably the fuel mileage as you listed. I don't check it very often, as it's hard (very hard) to fill the fuel tank to the top - twice - to accurately test fuel mileage. I would say yours is doing fine with those numbers.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

82vdub wrote:There's probably not a general consensus. You can't assume that everyone's engines here that have 130k miles on them are in the same condition as yours. I have a couple diesels out back with less showing on the clock that are dead. Why? I don't know, but they are dead.

My 82 with close to 360k on it uses about a quart every 1000-2000 miles and gets probably the fuel mileage as you listed. I don't check it very often, as it's hard (very hard) to fill the fuel tank to the top - twice - to accurately test fuel mileage. I would say yours is doing fine with those numbers.
For sure.

I am also fortunate enough to have driving needs that are very well suited to this vehicle getting good mileage and tend to drive with a lite foot.
Just curious about the range of results other drivers here are getting.
Diesel Newbedo
Dallas
Cetane Booster

fuel mileage?

Post by Dallas »

My 81 Rabbit with a 5 speed, N/A diesel gets around 38-40 mpg in town and 35-45 on the road if I take it easy. But, I usaully get in a hurry and mileage suffers greatly. Oil consumption is Qt to 500-1000 miles depending on idle time. On the hwy, 1000 miles easily. Mostly I use the car for delivering pizzas at my part time job.
Dallas
81 Rabbit
80 GL 1100 Gold Wing
92 GL 1500 Gold Wing
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Typical consumpsitions Oil and Fuel.

Post by hagar »

Ira B : you asked " Just wondering what is typical fuel mileage and oil consumption for you guys." no I do not think I am typical.

63.2 MPG and next to no oil consumption. !983 Rabbit Turbo 1.6 L BUT , this is typical for hagar , read my lips.

and I like it. my lovely "Ugly Duckling".

hagar.

PS : ECO mode.
Ira B
Turbo Charger

Post by Ira B »

That seems quite doable if everything is ideal.
Tire pressure.
Tuning.
Driving at best speed for MPG without stop and go.

Seems to me that the fly in the ointment for VERY high MPG with these cars is aerodynamics.
If I get some spare time I want to look into putting a VW 1.6 diesel transplant into a stripped down mid 1980's Honda Civic CRX. A much slipperyer and lighter car. I suspect it would get MPG in at least the 60's in normal use.
Diesel Newbedo
vanbcguy
Turbo Charger

Post by vanbcguy »

I get about 30 MPG (7.85L/100km) and burn about a liter per 2500 km (about a quart per 1500 miles)... My driving is almost all around town though, lots of stop and go.

Driving to Penticton and back plus a bit around in town I managed about 5.7 L/100km (about 41 MPG)... Jezebel likes the highway a lot more than she does the city - geared too steep for where I drive really.

Oh yeah, just for reference, my '95 2.0L ABA gasser Jetta tended to burn about 10-11 L/100km (21-23 MPG) with the same route to and from work, same driving style, and even the same set of wheels.
-Bryn

1994 Jetta with a 1988ish 1.6TD - Jezebelle Jetta
1994 Jetta - 1.8 Monomotronic - Gertrude Jetta
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

85' non turbo golf with 410k miles, re-ringed old ridged block due to lack of funds 50k ago:
45MPG and uses 1qt every 3k miles
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
Thomas M
Diesel Freak

Post by Thomas M »

As far as technique for checking, this is how I do it.

I use the fuel gage to mark my starting mileage. I have studied the movement vs miles driven and can sort of tell when it is in the "middle", say of the 1/4 full mark. I then drive on for about 1500 miles, town and highway, and keep track of my fuel usage, returning to the 1/4 full mark. I then do the mileage calculation.

I hate filling that tank full at the station!!!

In my opinion, the little variation in exact marking of the 1/4 fuel gage mark is compensated for by such a long drive between checks.

Any comments??????
:roll: 1991 Mk2 Jetta non-turbo, 1.6 Diesel, engine code ME, hydraulic lifters,
5 Speed 020 AWY 04120 Transmission
320,000 miles, Original Owner; Vancouver, WA

Located in: Vancouver, Washington
Still Looking for Engine Rebuild Options in Portland, Or Area as of August, 2021
GreyRabbit
Diesel Freak

Post by GreyRabbit »

On my 260k NA engine I got about 35 in town and 45 on the highway, burning a q every 1000 miles or so.

Right now I've got an '82 caddy with a rebuilt '86 TD in it. I get 35 in town and 40-45 on the highway, worse if I look at the boost gauge or drive fast. Mileage decreases markedly past 65 mph.

3500 miles on the rebuild, burning no oil.
'82 Rabbit Pickup - 1.6TD
tylernt
Turbo Charger

Post by tylernt »

I usually only have to add 0.5qt between 3,000mi oil changes on a 150K mile engine. Guess I am lucky in that department!

Fuel mileage runs 38-40MPG in 99% city driving, in the winter, on B20. I see a 2-4MPG improvement in summer.
'82 Diesel Rabbit • '88 Fox (RIP) • '88 Jetta (work in progress)
crankpot
Cetane Booster

Post by crankpot »

1981 caddy with fresh engine (24,000 miles)

44 mpg mixed driving with a/c on.
1 quart oil every 2500 miles.

Bob
1981 Caddy diesel 119K with working r12 A/C!
Freshly rebuilt engine .020 over, rebuilt 4 speed recently converted to a FN 5 speed, new control arm, ball joints, steering rack, engine mounts, clutch, clutch cable,flywheel, all brakes, brake cylinders, wheels, tires, Audiovox cruise control, HID Headlights, LED instrument lights.

Bob Jupiter, FL
kskirtz
Glow Plug

Fuel and oil consumption

Post by kskirtz »

92 ECO diesel with 173K, 15k on rebuild gets 32 in town and 43 on the highway. uses less than a 1/4 qt of oil between changes.
92 Red Jetta ECOdiesel
demon
Cetane Booster

Post by demon »

48MPG is what I average, with adding Howes or Power Service every fill up. 300K miles on an 84 Jetta 1.6L TD. Leaking more oil than burning. But I'll get that fixed soon!
wolf_walker
Cetane Booster

Post by wolf_walker »

Ira B wrote:

Seems to me that the fly in the ointment for VERY high MPG with these cars is aerodynamics.
If I get some spare time I want to look into putting a VW 1.6 diesel transplant into a stripped down mid 1980's Honda Civic CRX. A much slipperyer and lighter car. I suspect it would get MPG in at least the 60's in normal use.
Few years back I bought a lovely and bone stock 85 or so 1.8L 8v 5spd
Scirocco and schooled myself on K-Jet. With everything in darn near tip-top shape and a healthy motor I averaged 38mpg on regular unleaded.
For about a year, not just a tank or two. The great joke at the time was with diesel costs not only was my Scirocco cheaper to operate than a friends newish TDI, but it was faster. :) I sold it and bought a mid 14 sec 5spd Volvo 740 turbo wagon that got about the same MPG as I'd always logged in my W123 chassis 300D mercedes, high 20's. Go figure.

Anyway, point being the Scirocco is dramatically more aerodynamic then than any of the other old cars. Be a lot easier swap than into the CRX.
I think a diesel, preferably a turbo so as to not be too much of an embarrassment, would be a lot of fun in one. Maybe one day.
I also think with a hand built 2L 8v with the right cam and compressions and fuel/spark management I can pull MPG in the mid 40's from gas in that car and a whooole lot more power on demand. But that's another project.