power loss

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

found
Glow Plug

power loss

Post by found »

I have recently purchased a 2001 jetta gls tdi and find it slow turning over when cold. It has low power compared to other's I have tried. It also has a flat acceleration spot throughout every gear. It seem's to have more acceleration if I back off the pedal. Maf doesn't increase power when disconnected. Turbo linkage is moving and works. This car has 218,000 k.
Any help would be appreciated.
MayorDJQ
Diesel Freak

Post by MayorDJQ »

Since disconnecting the MAF did no good, it's probably OK.

Start with the basics: fuel filter, air filter, and use VagCom to check the timing.

Have you checked the degree of intake clogging?

The slow cranking could be caused by several things: weak battery, weak starter, dirty battery terminals, dirty ground connection, wrong motor oil (5w40 motor oil or 0w40 if you can find 505.00 synthetic).
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Crank it for awhile and feel the cables/connections for hot/warm spots.
Any bad connection that is limiting current to your starter will heat up.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Re: power loss

Post by CoolAirVw »

found wrote:I have recently purchased a 2001 jetta gls tdi and find it slow turning over when cold. It has low power compared to other's I have tried. It also has a flat acceleration spot throughout every gear. It seem's to have more acceleration if I back off the pedal. Maf doesn't increase power when disconnected. Turbo linkage is moving and works. This car has 218,000 k.
Any help would be appreciated.
Scan for trouble codes with vag-com.
MayorDJQ wrote:Since disconnecting the MAF did no good, it's probably OK.
This is not true at all. Matter of fact, this test is so unreliable, I would suggest noone ever unplug their MAF!
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>