glow plugs?

Moderator: Fatmobile

peggysgirl
Cetane Booster

glow plugs?

Post by peggysgirl »

Can someone help me diagnose my problem. I have been driving my van for 1 year after it sat for 9 years. It has been running great...until recently.It has been very hard to start. I find on warmer days, if I just keep heating up the plugs without trying to turn the engine over, it will start after about 3-4 minutes, on colder days it takes longer. It turns over and smokes,but just dosen't fire. I am thinking that it could be the glow plugs,not knowing how old they are,and the fact that it is missing the fire.I have ordered 4 of them,but wonder what anyone's thoughts are as to what else it could be??
Anne Marcotte
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Sounds like you may have one or more bad glow plugs. This is what my 82 did when two glow plugs went bad. If it starts but chugs and smokes after several glow plug cycles that may well be your problem. Either way, new glow plugs is a good idea if you don't know the age or if they are several years old.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Timing and compression affect starting.

Also you should run power service fuel additive. It really helps the cold starts.

Glow plugs are definatly a starting point, but it could be in the wiring or relay for the glow plugs.

Make sure your battery is right and good.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
wildenbeast
Glow Plug

Re: glow plugs?

Post by wildenbeast »

peggysgirl wrote:I find on warmer days, if I just keep heating up the plugs without trying to turn the engine over, it will start after about 3-4 minutes, on colder days it takes longer. It turns over and smokes,but just dosen't fire. I am thinking that it could be the glow plugs
This definitely sounds like a glow plug issue. Which glow plugs did you order? VW sent out crappy ceramic ones for awhile which were recalled. I burned a set of these up in less than 6 months. I have not had luck with Autolite plugs either (lasted less than 3 months because they snapped in the center section). I finally put the Bosch duraterm plugs on my van and am crossing my fingers for a longer interval before needing to replace them again.