what flywheel, clutch, starter??

Moderator: Fatmobile

pat dolan
Glow Plug

what flywheel, clutch, starter??

Post by pat dolan »

Newbie here. Glad to find there are some more crazies in this world.

A couple of years ago, I started to build a Westy Syncro for my best bud, then all kinds of things ground the project to a halt. Where I left off was ordering what was SUPPOSED to be a 2.4 flywheel, clutch and starter - assuming that it mounted the way the 2.5 TDI does.

Well, I don't have ETKA so I need some advice. The stuff I have has the ring gear on the wrong side (for those who aren't aware, the starter on this installation is on the egine side - freeing up space around the fuel tank).

What flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and starter do I need?? I would like to keep the 228 clutch and cover that I have, if there is an appropriate flywheel.

I have everything else - 2.6 hydraulic motor mount, have converted to South African bellhousing, taller 4 and 5, torsen, decoupler, new beefed 4-5 hub and MTDI pump (it just wouldn't be right to go electronic). Will go liquid/air IC with front mount rad and change the gasser Webasto liquid heater to a ESPAR diesel fired unit.
bunch of VWs and Audis, diesels and gassers and building a Westy Syncro w/2.5 for my best bud.
rsxsr

Post by rsxsr »

I have access to ETKA if you can give me a year and model of the engine you are installing. Not quite clear. I am a little confused about your question though. Doesn't the SA bellhousing have the starter on the transmission side? If you are trying to figure out what will work, I'd suggest looking at Audi 5000 and 100's they had the starter located on the block side. I am not familiar with your conversion, so I can be of little help. You could try here too. http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TDI-conversion
wildenbeast
Glow Plug

Re: what flywheel, clutch, starter??

Post by wildenbeast »

pat dolan wrote:Newbie here. Glad to find there are some more crazies in this world.

assuming that it mounted the way the 2.5 TDI does.
Well, I don't have ETKA so I need some advice. What flywheel, clutch, pressure plate and starter do I need?? I would like to keep the 228 clutch and cover that I have, if there is an appropriate flywheel.
I have only seen a 2.5 TDI once ever in a Vanagon. It was mounted at zero degrees and it didn't particularly run that well. This is really a specialty conversion you're talking about here. I have heard of people in the San Fransisco area that are doing these but the major Vanagon conversion folk that you are seeing on the other boards are using the 1Z and AHU engines. Your best bet for some advice would to ask the same questions here; http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/TDI-conversion/