Back up lights

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

diesel freak
Diesel Freak

Back up lights

Post by diesel freak »

My reverse or back up lights do not fuction. I read in Bently that there is a back up or reverse switch somewhere near the transmission. No luck locating it. Can anyone help me out?
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Right near the driver's side transaxle mount, will be the only thing with wires connected to the transaxle. Right bext to where the speedometer cable connects. On early models, it'll be a round hole with a plunger type switch, later models will have a rectangular hole with 2 screws (triple square bit) holding the switch in place (circled in red):

- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/VW_020_t ... troduction
'82 VW Caddy, 1.9D engine, FN tranny w/ Quaife, Missing LinkZ shift linkage
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

That switch always burns out.
Add a relay to the switch
or mount an external switch that is bumped by the lever.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Backup SW.

Post by hagar »

diesel freak
diesel freak : and ALL . Roger do you own that fancy looking tranney in the picture ? Is it Glass-beaded or painted or both ?

hagar.

PS : nice picture.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Most repair shops will clean the aluminum housings for the equipment they are servicing. Some will just wash, some will bead blast and some will paint when completed.

The picture posted to me looks like it's been painted. All the assembly hardware that makes up the transmission itself is all the same color (bolts, nuts, flanges etc). Rarely will you find bolts and hardware that matches a raw aluminum housings color leading me to default to it being painted.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

That is the transaxle in my '82 now. It was cleaned and acid etched then painted with Rustoleum Hammered Silver paint.
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

For brighter halogen back-up lights, what kind of relay should I install, and where? And, is it necessary to install a new back-up switch at the same time?
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

I would intercept the circuit right at the transmission. You keep the factory wiring for the switch etc, except that you intercept the circuit and have it switch a relay. You do not need to replace the backup switch, unless it's not working. The size of the relay will depend on the amp load it needs to power. Then, you'll have to run a fused line (wire size dependant on amp load) from the battery through the switched terminals on the relay to the rear for your backup lights.

I have too many to count
the vegenator
Turbo Charger

Post by the vegenator »

I'm still shaky on electric wiring, so I want to make sure I'm understanding this correctly. I just found this wiring diagram for wiring up higher power headlights:

Seems like this translates to backup lights, ya? Correct me if I'm wrong... I run the BK/BL wire coming out of the backup switch into a terminal on the relay, and a fused beefier wire directly from the battery into another terminal on the relay. Then a new line out all the way to the lights?

It feels good to finally understand the magic of this stuff.
- Mike Harpring

'85 VW Jetta NA Diesel/WVO
VWCaddy
Missing Linkz

Post by VWCaddy »

Yes, if doing the high watt bulbs, add a relay or the switch will not last very long. And I found the halogen bulbs were not all the much brighter:
- http://www.4crawler.com/Diesel/CheapTri ... ckupLights

I like the focused LED bulbs myself, the main problem with the stock backup lights is the lack of a decent reflector. The LEDs nowadays can be had with built in reflectors/lenses and put the light out where it should be, and they pull a lot less current, like 3-4 watts/bulb vs. 20-50 watts/bulb.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Then a new line out all the way to the lights?
I don't think you need new wires all the way to the lights. The wires should be able to handle the current.

Sounds like LED lights might be enough to keep the switch from burning out. One more thing on my list.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Fatmobile wrote: I don't think you need new wires all the way to the lights. The wires should be able to handle the current.
I'll chime in and say that it all depends on the existing wire size and the amperage of the new lights. Don't overload your wiring. It would suck to use the old wire to only have your VW burn up because $10 on wire was skipped.

Hey fats, hope your Rabbits have their show shoes on :lol:

I have too many to count
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

You meant SNOW shoes right? :)
Show shoes are for summer :)

Winterforce on the front, extra large snowtrackers on the rear, can't even do ebrake slides.
Carrying chains,.. and a big long chain if that doesn't work. :)
I have a pair of iceracing tires for what's coming in the next 48 hours,.. if I need them.

I don't have any reverse lights either, but don't intend to go backwards.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Fatmobile wrote:You meant SNOW shoes right? :)
Show shoes are for summer :)
I can't even poke fun of anyone and get it right........... :roll:

I have too many to count
krislou80
Glow Plug

Re: Back up lights

Post by krislou80 »

diesel freak wrote:My reverse or back up lights do not fuction. I read in Bently that there is a back up or reverse switch somewhere near the transmission. No luck locating it. Can anyone help me out?
Check the fuses inside the driver's side kick panel Turn the black screw, and then pull the panel directly off. Turn it around, and there is a diagram that will show which fuse is connected to what. Pull the fuse and make sure that it is not blown. I would bet it is the back up light switch if you drive a standard transmission. The switch can be purchased for about $25.00 at an auto parts store. It plugs into your engine roughly below the battery. The battery may have to be removed to gain access to the plug, but its an easy fix. This only applies if you have a standard.I removed the switch from the transaxel-with the front left wheel removed. Sometimes if you have some- electrical parts cleaner sprayed it the trans side of the switch can restore function to it. Had to do this because auto parts stores nearby did not stock this switch. works fine for now.
Last edited by krislou80 on Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.