'82 P.U. Fuel Tank Replacement

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

Harry
Turbo Charger

'82 P.U. Fuel Tank Replacement

Post by Harry »

Has anyone had to replace the caddy gas tank and where did you find a good replacement? This one has a 1.7 gas engine now, but I want to put in a 1.6n/a later. It has the CIS FI in it now. Old tank has lots of kinda hard crumbly crud in it and heavily rusty junk, uses filters like mad. I've looked on-line and didn't turn up anything that looked similar in capacity(14 gal.) and couldn't really tell about fill tank inlet pipe, etc.
Thanks for information.
Harry
83 Quantum TD; 85 Golf; 79 Rabbit 1.6n/a; 81 Dasher wagon 1.6n/a
davidpa28140
Cetane Booster

Post by davidpa28140 »

I had the same issue once but mine had several big holes in it. I had it "renewed" at a place called moyers outside Pittsburgh PA. It was pricey something like $200 or so, it came with a lifetime warranty. I was unable to find a new one for the pickup anywhere, but that was a few years ago. If you need the number I think I can dig it up. I think you will find it would cost more to have one built..... Finding a clean one is going to be tough. I think if it were mine, and it didn't leak I would just take it down and try cleaning it out, the sending unit's hole is fairly large. Lastly, if you plan on running biodiesel in it after the diesel conversion, this would be a good time to remove the plastic "rings" at the bottom of the tank. Some guys have had trouble with these deteriorating in bio.

Good luck,
Dave
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

Another thought is to add an in-bed auxiliary fuel tank that becomes the main tank.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
idhoho
Turbo Charger

Post by idhoho »

Good clean used tanks aren't that hard to find. I have sold several over the years out of wrecking yards, etc. Gas and diesel tanks are the same but diesel tanks are much more likely to be rust free! Watch Ebay and Vortex :D