Broken Accelerator Cable

Moderator: Fatmobile

bobrabcd
Glow Plug

Broken Accelerator Cable

Post by bobrabcd »

During the first year of ownership of this brand new 1982 diesel Westy the accelerator cable broke at the crimp where it attaches to the pedal linkage. It was a manufacturing defect with too tight of a crimp, and poor design. It broke just as i was accerating up a freeway onramp in San Diego during morning rush hour. A broken accelerator cable lets the engine run as though you had the pedal to the metal. So I managed to get on the freeway as there was no turning back and no road shoulder to escape to...no choice. Then I exited at the first off ramp and parked in a shopping center. Up to this point I knew something was broken because the pedal was "limp". So I crawled underneath and found the break at the crimp. What to do. Fortunately the 17 years of owning a '61 beetle trained me to be prepared. I took some green vinyl covered garden wire and fashioned a splice between the cable and pedal. Drove it that way for many years. Then finally replaced the fix with a small turnbuckle that would never wear out.
1982 Vanagon Diesel Westfalia
dvuono
Cetane Booster

Post by dvuono »

ha! nice job! I had the same problem but I was lucky enough to find a spare cable at VW shop.
Dave and his 82 Diesel Vanagon