Starter Replacement in '82 diesel Westfalia

Moderator: Fatmobile

bobrabcd
Glow Plug

Starter Replacement in '82 diesel Westfalia

Post by bobrabcd »

This is a fix that should have been designed into the original VW Vanagons and buses. If you keep one of these vehicles long enough it is going to need a starter/solenoid replacement. No way do I want to try and drop the engine or pay a mechanic and pit expenses to do it. Afterall the annual cost on this old vehicle is averaging out to be budget transportation. Replacing the starter with the vehicle sitting on the ground is virtually impossible. So, a little meditation and physical work resulted in cutting an access hole in the deck to replace it from above. Draw a rectangle and drill 4 holes in the corner of the rectangle you want to remove. Then use an electric saw with metal cutting blade and cut the piece between the four holes, but don't cut the cross brace. You now have access to the bolts and wires for a quick and easy starter replacement.
Last edited by bobrabcd on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
1982 Vanagon Diesel Westfalia
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

The starter bolts are most easily accessible from the engine compartment. I've never had any trouble replacing the diesel starter on 2WD diesel vanagons. Certainly easier than cutting a hole in the deck.
bobrabcd
Glow Plug

Post by bobrabcd »

My starter was anything but accessable and no way could I get a socket wrench on the bolts, let alone manipulate getting the starter out and a new one in. I just don't see how it could be done anyother way than an access hole. My starter was totally under the deck. Here is a link to a picture showing total inaccessiblity of the starter from the engine compartment. Link is good for 7 days. https://download.yousendit.com/TzY0Y050WkJGR0ZMWEE9PQ
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

All I can say is I've done it several times and haven't had any issues. I wouldn't have even called it difficult.

I've been considering cutting out that whole area above the transmission, not for access to the starter or slave cylinder, but rather to install a battery box as a place to house both the starting and deep cycle batteries. What did you do about the insulation? How are you planning on patching the whole? I'm hoping that you pulled the valve cover after you cut the whole.
bobrabcd
Glow Plug

Post by bobrabcd »

You must be a magician. The starter is directly below that hole next to the rear seat, not in the openspace of the engine compartment. The bolts are not visible from the compartment and the starter could not physically be removed through the engine compartment. The hole was cut a year ago. A cover plate was made for it. The approximately one square foot of insullation was not replaced. The valve cover was off this weekend because I had to determine if the headbolts were 6 or 12 points so the proper tool could be ordered. This '82 has 12 points. The maintenance manual did not specify.
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Post up on the diesel vanagon yahoo who group asking how many folks have changed their starter in their '82 and of them how many have cut a hole in the rear deck. I'm sure you'll find I'm not the only "magician" out there. Anyway, I appreciate the pic. It's timely inspiration for cutting that battery box I was talking about.
Vanagonner
Glow Plug

Post by Vanagonner »

I have had mine out a couple of times, and never had much of a problem with it. You can't see it very well, and have to work by feel to hook the wire back up.
-Sage
Boulder, Colorado '82 westy
libbybapa
Turbo Charger

Post by libbybapa »

Your engine compartment picture was so pixelated and from such a poor angle I figured I'd post a couple of clearer pics. Here's the '82 starter mounting bolt locations as seen from the engine compartment. Granted it is an inline-4 gasser conversion, but that doesn't change the starter mounting bolt location, it just makes them a little harder to access due to the extra wiring in the way. I never said to remove the starter through the engine compartment, just that it was easiest to access the mounting bolts from there. I would first remove the negative battery cable. Then I would loosen the two starter mounting bolts and remove one of them, leaving the other one just barely in place. Then slide underneath the van with 13mm wrench or socket and ratchet in hand. I can slide under there even without it jacked up, but with it on jack stands or ramps makes it less crowded. Loosen and remove the solenoid nut. Pull the spade connector. Remove the last starter bolt by hand and pull the starter out to the bottom of the van.

The electrical connections to the solenoid are slightly more challenging than the starter mounting bolts, but as I said, I wouldn't call it difficult. I can't imagine the work of cutting the hole in the bulkhead paying for itself in labor saving until the third or fourth starter replacement. I'd also want to compensate for the reduction in noise insulation in some manner.

Here's a picture of the '83 version. The starter is even easier in that case with even the solenoid wiring easily accessible from the engine compartment as the engine was shifted 2" rearward to accommodate the longer 5-speed transmission. On the '83 you actually can remove the starter through the engine compartment. I actually prefer the '82 mounting position as it gives easier access for the timing belt.

Regardless, in either case I'd rate the starter removal as being on the easy end of the scale for mechanical difficulty.
Josh
Turbo Charger

Post by Josh »

I'm 6'5" and swapping my starter in the '82 diesel westy is not hard at all. It's somewhat blind work at times, but once I did it the first time it was easy to do again.

I find if the vehicle is jacked up just enough to fit under it, I can reach the starter with both hands reaching up from each side of the transmission. The two bolts can be loosed from either beneath or via the stock engine access panel with a typical combo of extensions on a wrench.

I'd not cut such a hole.

As for the starter to replace, the superior redesigned gear reduction units available have to be the better choice compared to a rebuilt or original design.
-'79 rabbit, getting parted out
-'82 quantum wagon, gutting.
-'84 rehabbed quantum TD sedan, southern rustless beauty for sale
-'82 cherry Westy from AZ
-more all the time; are they breeding?