Use of GM Dexcool flavor of Prestone in TDi

This forum is for TDI (Turbo Direct Injection) questions/posts. Non-TDI Motors (Including the 1.6, and 1.9 or other variant turbo diesel motors) should go in the VW Diesel General Forum

Moderator: Fatmobile

wild3bill
Cetane Booster

Use of GM Dexcool flavor of Prestone in TDi

Post by wild3bill »

I have a 97 Chevy pickup with 6.5 Diesel V8, so I have that stuff(Prestone/dexcool) on hand and noticed it is the same color as coolant in my Golf TDi.:-). My 2003 Golf TDi has 107,000 miles.
a WEEK AFTER MY Flywheel and clutch were replaced, I began to notice an exhaust pipe rattle. I also noticed a noise when I let off the accelerator in a lower gear I hear a noise I believe is a sloppy or loose motor or transmission mount.Transaxel R & R was done to change clutch.I hope a coolant hose got stretched or otherwise damaged. But when I started the TDi the low coolant idiot light stayed on, blinked and beeped. Coolant was low.I added a quart of water and drove home and added a quart of Prestone(dexcool). This morning is 14° tomorrow's low should be above freezing. When I plan to do this again to limp it into a shop Monday morning.I wondered if others used Prestone /Dexcool as it appears to be a similar 150,000 mile anti-freeze, but is more readily available than the VW red anti-freeze!
Wild3Bill
Lower Hudson Valley NY
2011 BMW 335d turbo Diesel
2003 Golf GLS TDi in the shop
1998 TDi Bug in the back yard
81 Rabbit Pickup " " "
97 ChevyK2500 . 6.5TD 4
John Deere 455
Koubota BX24 Diesel lawn mower w/back hoe & loader
CoolAirVw
Turbo Charger

Post by CoolAirVw »

Most long life antifreeze's are propylene glycol vs ethelene glycol with the green stuff.

Compatibility is a wierd thing though. I've seen Vw antifreeze turn to "mud" with wrong stuff. I've also seen it make a white "scum" that clogged off 5/8 heater port entirely.

I'd be very wary of putting anything but G12 in. If there is any remaining of the previous stuff, and it will mix then dont! Its just not worth it.

Note: Parts stores also sell a Universal coolant that claims compatibility with any color of antifreeze. Though once again I'm not suggesting this.
Richard
85 Jetta TD
ASE Certified Master Auto-Technician with L1 Advanced Engine Diagnostic Rating and Light Diesel certification
ATRA Certified in Rebuilding, Diagnosing & Installing Transmissions

My Threads---> <a href="viewtopic.php?t=6255&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0" target="_blank">Rusty Floor Repair </a> ---- <a href="viewtopic.php?t=4923&highlight=" target="_blank">Oil Pressure Warning</a>----<a href="viewtopic.php?t=6632" target="_blank">Uploading Pictures</a>----<a href="http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php? ... t&p=730755" target="_blank">My Porsche 914</a>
wild3bill
Cetane Booster

Anti Freeze

Post by wild3bill »

Last time I was in the Parts store a book shelf that once had an array of Reference manuals switched from books to coolant gallons. It had Toyota antifreeze, next to BMW next to Mercedes, a big selection of GM Dexcool compatible Prestone. As my TDi is over 100,000 Miles and haS a big leak and it is January ;-(
I read that a flush and FULL switch to GM Dex cool compatible is acceptable, but mixing is a problem. I had the clutch and flywheel replaced last week. A week later the cooant idiot light came on and I had a leak. I do not know if it is a hose or the water pump yet. Mixing universal with a red antifreeze turns it brown. The hand books advise flush an refill if antifreeze becomes brown.
Wild3Bill
Lower Hudson Valley NY
81 Rabbit Pickup " " "
97 ChevyK2500 . 6.5TD 4
John Deere 455
JRM
Turbo Charger

Re: Use of GM Dexcool flavor of Prestone in TDi

Post by JRM »

Iv had issues with dex-cool, every rig iv used it in has coolant issues, even our 1996 chevy leaks somewhere on the back of the block. I tired it in my 1985 golf diesel, blew out the waterpump within 6 months. used it in my Toyota truck, softened the hoses and upper rad hose blew.
I switched all rigs back over to there OEM stuff and used the toyota red coolant in our chevy a few years ago- not one issue since.
The best coolant in my mind is hondas Type II coolant, its sillicate and boreright? free. the rad and collant tanks in all 4 of my hondas look like new
my .02
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
wild3bill
Cetane Booster

Post by wild3bill »

Golf back on the road after a year in the shop!Transmission dog bone mount fixed.4 broken bolts extracted one broken/cross threades bolt drilled and helicoiled.Last time dog bone got loose both power steering and coolant resrvioir hoses got cut New ncoolant hose replaced January 2010. Mechanic used VW antifreeze!
I will use dexcool approved prestone in the Chevy trtuck where it belongs! Mechanic found coolant hose damage while replacing steering pump damaged whensteering hose cut and pump ran dry last time.
Wild3Bill
Lower Hudson Valley NY
81 Rabbit Pickup " " "
97 ChevyK2500 . 6.5TD 4
John Deere 455
wild3bill
Cetane Booster

Post by wild3bill »

A shop that put an SAE bolt to secure my tranny mount to the frame, probably topped off the coolant with dexcool.The tranny6 mount broke loose again a pulley cut the expansion tank hose again and also cut a power steering hose, the steering pump was destroyed when it ran dry.The VW spent a YEAR in a shop where the SAE Bolt got drilled out and re-tapped, stubs of the other broken bolts were replaced with proper VW bolts, new steering pump & hosed broken cooling hoses were replaced cooling system flushed and refilled with VW antifrees. So dexcool no longer an issue as long as I stay away from that shop!, and only use the guy who fixed it right!
Wild3Bill
Lower Hudson Valley NY
81 Rabbit Pickup " " "
97 ChevyK2500 . 6.5TD 4
John Deere 455
Redneck truck
Glow Plug

Post by Redneck truck »

It sounds like you've got some terrible luck, sir! Was the shop located in your home garage? Don't be ashamed...

So, have all the issues been worked out?
JRM
Turbo Charger

Post by JRM »

TDI engines use OAT-2 coolant, dexcool is a OAT as long as you change the coolant often your ok.

http://donsnotes.com/home_garden/auto/antifreeze.html
90' Toyota X cab 4x4
02' Honda civic
85' VW Golf Diesel Project
95' dodge 12v cummins
13' VW Passat TDI DSG
wild3bill
Cetane Booster

Post by wild3bill »

Mechanic drilled and tapped one bolt, all others extracted, backed out and replaced on transmission mount. Coolant hose was cut by motor pulley. Mechanic replaced cut hose and all coolant with replacements from VW
Wild3Bill
Lower Hudson Valley NY
81 Rabbit Pickup " " "
97 ChevyK2500 . 6.5TD 4
John Deere 455