Lost Keys

Technical questions and answers concerning all models of VW diesel vehicles.

Moderator: Fatmobile

avw
Glow Plug

Lost Keys

Post by avw »

If the keys for a 86 Jetta can't be found, what are the possible options? I have found this car in really nice shape for a great price but the owner can't find the key............

Thanks,
AVW
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

You can remove the lock cylinder from the ignition switch and replace it but that requires drilling. If you search on vwvortex you may find a procedure for where to drill to get it out. I don't remember exactly where I saw it but if you don't find it I can try to search for it. You need to remove the steering wheel and the plastic covers off the steering column but bth are relatively easy to do. The steering wheel is held on with a 25mm nut and does not require a puller to get it off. On the MK1 you just pull the horn pad off to get to that nut, probably the same on the MK2.

Door locks can be re-keyed by adjusting the lock tabs. I did it on my Rabbit many years ago. Not sure if the MK2 locks are the same but they probably are.

Alternatively you might find a locksmith who can make a key by trial and error but that would be expensive.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Honda, 99 GMC Suburban, '41 Chevy Coupe
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

Various vendors sell a reasonably-priced re-key kit for MK2s.... full set of locks on a single key: doors, ignition, trunk.

Jack (the host of this forum) may be able to get it for you.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

You may be able to get a key from the dealer, based on the vehicle's VIN number. Unlikely that you would get a dealer to sell you a key based on you giving a VIN number without establishing actual ownership of the vehicle. But, call the dealer and ask, then buy (or leave) the car as is, haul home and take care of what you discovered. Buying a car without keys could be pretty cheap, and it may only cost you $10 and a week or two of waiting to get a key.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
Vincent Waldon
Turbo Charger

Post by Vincent Waldon »

One other thought... many MK2s had the key code engraved on the cylinder of the drivers side lock. If you can get into the car and remove the driver's side door lock and find the code the dealer should be able to cut you new keys.... have done that more than once myself.
Vince

Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
2001 silver TDI Jetta Malone Stage 1.5 , 2001 blue TDI Jetta SBIII 216s Malone Stage 3
1970 Bay Window bus

Gone but not forgotten: 1969/1971 Beetles, 1969/1974 Westies, 1979 Rabbit, 1986 TD Jetta, 1992 gas Jetta, 1994 TD Jetta

Here's a small collection of HOW-TOs
Quantum TD
Turbo Charger

Post by Quantum TD »

All above are correct. If you have the original driver's door handle, you can get the code off it and give it to your local locksmith. Then, they can cut you a new key for like $10-15.

If the driver's handle has been replaced, then you'll have to drill the ignition lock cylinder (easy to do). and remove it. Get the code off the side, and give it to your local locksmith. They can cut you a new key.

It's a whole lot cheaper that way, than having them come out to your car.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Rats you guy's beat me to it!! :P

A few years ago we thought we'd lost the keys to a '86 golf and I'm pretty sure the locksmith told me the code was in the passenger side handle :?

I spoze I could've fergotten which handle he said though.........

P.S. The key wasn't really lost, Dad grabbed the golf key and used it in his toyota, we found out it was the wrong one by trying to lock the doors......
avw
Glow Plug

Post by avw »

Cool, thanks very much guys. Hopefully I can get the car before any parts are picked off it. It's an 86 turbo 1.6 AGS 5 speed. 161Km sunroof, tach, cruise, heated seats, new windshield, mint interior....... 100% complete minus keys!!

Crazzzzyyyy
bscutt
Turbo Charger

Post by bscutt »

a turbo with only 161km would be an awesome car. Plus the nice options make it rare and potentially a very nice driver. Hope you are able to snatch it up.
Bob

'06 Jetta TDI
'82 Rabbit 1.6NA
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

I found a beat up gasser Jetta.
Took a look at it (wouldn't start) but before I could get back the kids lost the keys.
I went to the salvage yard and grabbed the whole blinker, wiper ignition piece.
Only had to remove the steering wheel, I think there was a pinch bolt from underneath then 3 screws.
I went over to the guys house and swapped it with him in the passenger seat.
Still wouldn't start.
Removed the cover to the airbox and found a big mouse nest.
Got it started,.. and he decided not to sell it.

Can't leave it with the unhappy ending so
I eventually got paid for the swap and got the car for free from his mechanic where he abandoned it... it starts even in the coldest weather, with a junk battery... ha I win.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.
82vdub
Turbo Charger

Post by 82vdub »

If you're going to work on a car in someone's yard to be able to drive it home instaed of hauling it home, make sure you own the car first before you fix it and drive it away. My last winter jetta was a $50 car that wouldn't crank over when I bought it. I did get it fired and drove it home from the guys yard.
Everybody else lists their cars here - but not me.

I have too many to count
hagar
Hillbilly Tuner

Lost Key's.

Post by hagar »

Lost keys ? no problem at hagar's years ago I had the same problem BUT ? then Miss "Serendipity" put her hand on my shoulder and whispered in my ear. Try all your VW keys .

It works. Read my lips.

If you send me a $ 100 deposit , I will mail you a lot of key's . You pay mailing expense and when I get my key's back you get deposit back in FULL.

hagar.

PS : drilling steering wheel lock ? NEVER at hagar's.
rabbit_man
Turbo Charger

Post by rabbit_man »

Drilling the lock doesn't hurt a thing, it's only so you can poke a wire in and compress the spring that holds it in.....it should've been done by volkwagen.

You gotta look in the book to find the spot to drill, I did it installed on my rabbit, you have to remove the steering wheel and then the bottom ignition cover and it's right there.
Fatmobile
Global Moderator

Post by Fatmobile »

Yeah, I've drilled them out before.
Pretty easy.
'91 Golf gasser converted to a 12mm pump, M-TDI.
'84 1.6TD Rabbit with a VNT-15 turbo, still setup to run on vegetable oil.
'84 GTI with 1.7TD pistons and intercooled.
2003 TDI wagon
2000 TDI Jetta.